Homemade Butter

That’s right. That delicious stuff you’re buying in the store, those tasty blocks that come wrapped in paper and packaged four-at-a-time in little 1-lb boxes—you can make that.

Not only is homemade butter so much yummier than the store-bought kind, it’s also easy to make. This can be done several different ways. You can use a mixer, a food processor, or a container of some sort. I prefer the container method because it allows for a slow churn, rather than an unbridled whip that risks incorporating buttermilk back into the butter, so that’s what I will explain here.

All you’ll need is:

• 1 pint of heavy cream
  • a 2-pint* or larger container (I used a 1-liter bottle)
  • cheesecloth (I use a gold filter)
  • salt

*You will need to use a container that is at least twice the volume of the cream.

First, you’re going to want to bring the heavy cream to room temperature. Why is that, you ask? Okay, science time! Milk and cream contain oodles of tiny fat molecules called globules (I still can’t decide how I feel about that word, but I think I like it). These globules are surrounded by membranes that prevent them from sticking to each other, keeping your milk and cream un-chunky (gross, I know). You make butter by agitating these membranes until they begin to break down, allowing the fat molecules to stick together (a process more commonly known as churning), and eventually resulting in the separation of butter and buttermilk. These membranes break down quickest at room temperature or slightly below. You can churn chilled cream and it will eventually yield butter as well, it will just take a lot longer. If you’re impatient like me, pour the cream into a wider container and set in a warm area for an hour or two, stirring occasionally. (I also use this time to try to finish a liter of seltzer.)

Once the cream has warmed, pour it into the empty container and seal with a secure lid. Shake the container steadily but not too rapidly (I am really trying to avoid the term “medium pace” here, despite how fitting it would be—thanks a lot, Adam Sandler). If you shake too violently, you risk reincorporating the buttermilk and over-churning the butter, which cannot be undone. As you shake, you’ll feel the cream begin to thicken, like whipped cream. Next, it’s going to start to feel like a big dairy rock. It will seem like your shaking isn’t doing anything at all (and you may need to put a little more “umph” into it). And then, like magic, things will start to separate! I switch to a slower and more emphatic shake at this point in time—forcefully inverting the bottle one way, then the other. Continue shaking for a few more minutes, or until a good amount of buttermilk has separated from the butter (around ¾–1 cup).

Remove the top from the container. Place the cheesecloth or gold filter over the opening and strain out the buttermilk. (Reserve the buttermilk for delicious pancake- or biscuit-related uses.) Now, you need to rinse the butter to remove any lingering buttermilk, which can cause your butter to spoil quickly. (Confession: I actually forgot to do this and didn’t remember I was supposed to until I started writing this post. My butter has survived so far [it has been about a week], but it’s still an important part of the process that should not be bypassed.) Fill your container with very cold water until it just covers the butter, then drain out through the cheesecloth. Repeat this process a number of times (around 7), until the drained water is clear. Remove the butter from the container (if you’re using a bottle, just cut the top off) and transfer it to a large wooden cutting board. I actually used a plastic cutting board, which was a mistake. (Is it obvious that it’s been a while since I’ve done this?) You want to use something semi-porous that’s capable of absorbing a little liquid.

Using a wooden spoon, press your butter down into a large, flattened pancake. As you do this, you’ll notice liquid oozing out from the butter. Your cutting board should absorb some of that, but you can also use a paper towel to lightly dab away any excess. Gather butter back into a ball and press flat again. Continue to do this until you have removed most of the liquid. Before you gather up your last butter pancake, add some salt to it (about ¼ teaspoon). This will also ward off spoilage.

And now, grab the nearest piece of bread and slather it with fresh butter! It’s good, isn’t it? It isn’t exactly practical to make for use in cooking or baking, but it’s definitely worth the time and effort as a table-bound, buttering butter. (*Ahem*, a Thanksgiving table, perhaps?) There’s no reason this shouldn’t make an appearance at Thanksgiving, or any holiday, for that matter. It can be made days in advance, it’s easily transportable, and it’s delicious. Done and done.

Comments

1. Laura says

Hi,

I am trying this recipe out with a little bit more (pint and a half) of heavy whipping cream in a 1 liter bottle. I’ve been shaking for about 6 minutes and the “dairy rock” has not developed. Just wondering about how long I shake (and do you shake up and down or side to side) for this whole process to finish?

Thanks!

Hi Laura—I think the problem may be the size of the bottle. The container you use should be at least double the volume of the amount of cream you are using. I’m sorry, I did not specify that in my instructions—I should have! If you switch to a larger container, or lose a third of the cream, you should have better results. Good luck!

2. Laura says

Sorry… another question. My butter is not at all yellow like yours and it seems pretty soft. Is it supposed to be yellow before I take it out?

Not necessarily. I’m thinking the color of the butter may depend on the cream that you use. (I’ve always used the same type of local heavy cream, which is probably why my butter has always turned out so yellow.) It will also seem pretty soft at first. (Mine looked a bit firm in the in-process pictures because I was taking them on a cold porch!) As long as you smushed out a good deal of water, it should be just fine!

The colour of your butter (and really all dairy products) is based on what the cow was fed and what season it is. Most butter these days is coloured yellow because its more appealing ( and yellowish butter used to mean spring butter and sweeter).

I am going to try making butter tonight. About how much butter do you get as a final result of this recipe?

3. Cal and Carol says

Hi Carey, and all!

My wife and I tried this recipe, and it turned out perfectly!

We used 1 pint of Kroger Heavy Whipping Cream.. My wife

set the cream by at room temperature for about 2 hours.

We then took turns gently agitating the cream in a quart carafe

for about 15 minutes, and saw the “sudden” appearance of

yellow globs immersed in a thin white milky layer.

The first straining with a gold mesh coffee filter yielded about

8 oz of buttermilk, and about the same amount of butter. We

saw a clear rinse after about 4 cold water rinses. We noted that

about 3 gathering/spreading cycles on a wooden cutting board

appeared to squeeze out the remaining thin gruel, which we

blotted up with paper towels.

My wife mixed in 1/4 tsp salt, and we set butter and buttermilk by

in the fridge, but only after a first taste! Very tasty, and spreadable,

like the table butter you get at restaurants.

My wife asks: what flavorings might one add to the butter? She

thought chives, chutney, horseradish or watercress might be

tasty. I’m thinking possibly cinnamon/sugar, or maybe some

garlic powder. This would be a great Thanksgiving or Christmas

Day project to delegate to children!

Thanks, Carey!

— Cal and Carol, Louisville KY

So glad to hear this worked out perfectly! And oh my goodness, I’m sure all of those things would be delicious add-ins to the butter. I love the idea of cinnamon and sugar. I would also suggest butter with roasted garlic and herbs (basil, chives, rosemary, oregano, parsley, and any other favorites).

Another great sweet butter idea is butter + maple syrup (2 parts butter to 1 part syrup). I haven’t actually tried this myself, but I worked at a sap house in high school where they made a maple cream (which is just heated syrup stirred continuously until it cools and becomes a thick, spreadable cream). Of course maple butter isn’t quite the same, but even if it’s half as good as maple cream, it will be the second most delicious substance ever created. :)

• Carol R says

I’m thinking of adding honey. OOOHHHHHH! Nothing better than honey butter on freshly baked bread or rolls! Thanks for sharing, Carey!

Just another Carol

4. Bonnie says

The color on the butter is related to the diet of the cows. A more yellow butter is obtained from long summer days and fresh green grass. A pale butter is obtained from short summer days and hay to eat.

Also, it is possible to over churn. I just did it this morning, went from cream to heavy whipped cream and back to milk again, missed butter completely!- I wonder if this makes it homogenized milk? That’s how I found your site. I’m trying to find out.

I love fresh milk and fresh butter! So much healthier for you. For the record if you have access to fresh, raw milk try that. I’ve read at another site that raw milk has a short life span which is wrong. If you let the milk sit in a refrigerator for 2 weeks the cream will be VERY thick and makes the best butter. Yes, the milk is still very good to drink. But you’ve got the keep the top on the container and keep it cold. Raw milk doesn’t really go “bad”, even when it’s too off to drink it’s still very good to cook with. When it finally gets to the point that even cooking with it is a bad idea you-will-know! ;)

Enjoyed your site for the brief time I was here.

Thanks for the info, Bonnie! (I had no idea that the color was related to the cow’s diet—neat!)

I haven’t over-churned to the point of it going back to milk, though I suppose it could be possible that you’ve created something similar to homogenized milk by breaking the fat globules down into even smaller molecules (which is what the homogenization process does in order to keep the cream from rising to the top).

I believe there are a couple vendors at our farmers’ market that sell raw milk, and I’ve been meaning to get my hands on some. (My mother and father lived just up the road from a dairy farm when they were first married, and I’ve been hearing praise for fresh milk and cream since I was little!)

oops! sorry! I said the same thing without reading all the comments first!

I read today that the prime temperature for raw milk is about 2.2 degrees Celsius and will last the longest at about that temperature.

5. Mary Massoletti says

Thanks for a very infomative article! If I start to churn can I leave off and come back to it later?

Hi Mary! I suppose you could, though it might be more trouble than it’s worth. If you’re going to leave it for more than a couple hours, you’d probably want to put it in the fridge (for preservation’s sake). Then you’d want to make sure you warmed it back up to room temperature later before you continued. If the cream is warm enough, it doesn’t take all that long to separate. (I’ve also found that the churning process goes much quicker when I use high-quality fresh cream.) Good luck!

6. Shinyhalo says

Hi all,

As a little girl growing up, we had a couple of cows. I would help mommy churn and make butter and buttermilk. It was a chore back then, but I have found myself wishing for those times again. I still have my grandmother’s old churn with a churn dash that my dad made for me. (I wonder if I put enough heavy cream in it, if I could produce lots of that creamy butter that we used to make?) After the butter was made, we would scoop the butter from the top of the buttermilk. Mommy would put it in a bowl and whip it with a fork until every drop of water came off of it. It looked like ice cream when she got through with it! She would have about 7 or 8 bowls of fresh cow butter, some she would sell and the rest we would eat on her homemade biscuits. I sure do miss those days!

7. Cathy Murphy says

Just to give you a laugh for the day – I read and re-read the recipe to see what in the world you were using the Seltzer for…even read through the comments thinking I’d missed something. I will admit that I had cancer last year and underwent chemo…I’m thinking I’m going to blame this on chemo-brain! LOL I’ve made butter before but always used my electric hand mixer. Love your recipe and directions! :)

Hehe! It is a little confusing, especially if you’re used to the hand mixer method. (I learned the bottle-shaking method first, and then mixer approach came later.) But I’d certainly say you’re allowed a confusion pass (and many other passes) after undergoing something as harrowing as chemo, Cathy! Glad you enjoyed the recipe. :)

8. Frank says

Back in the 30’s we lived on a small 11 acre farm. We had 2 or 3 cows. pigs, chickens and a large garden. Dad work at a shoe factory. Mom would put milk into earth pots in a cool area. There the cream came to the top that she would skim the cream off for 1 or 2 days. When she had enough cream she would put it into the “butter churner”. It was about 1/2 gallon size. I would start to crank the handle and when it started to become butter and hard to turn dad had to take over.

After mom had skimmed the cream from the milk the remaining milk turned into a curd we call yogurt today. She would cook that and it curdel when it was done cooking she pour it into cheesecloth bags to drain. Those curdels were what we call “farmers cheese” or “dry cottage cheese”. The water that drained from the cheese was green. That water was mixes with mash and fed to the pigs (it is amazing – milk is white, butter is yellow,cheese is white and the water is green). If you can purchase raw milk do the above sequnce and see for yourself. The yogurt part is etible as it is. However it is bitter like the buttermilk. We would put some strawberry or eldeberry jam preserves in it that mom made.

9. Carol S says

I got a big laugh out of the way you all make butter. Not a one of you said any thing about using sour cream for making the butter. Yes, I said sour cream. Not the store bought kind, but the kind made with raw milk. It makes a diferent taste butter but is ever bit as good as the sweet cream butter. I helped make butter from the time I was big enough to turn the handle on the butter churn and I am now in my 70’s. We never made the fuss over making it as you’ll have. We also drank the butter milk with adding a pinch of salt. Mmmmmmmmmmmm was it good on a hot day. By the way, I still had my mother’s butter churn up until a few years ago and now my daughter has it.

Enjoy making your butter.

• Linda Potter says

I do remember that! My Dad used to call it “ripened” butter. That’s why today the cartons of butter always say “sweet” cream butter! Nothing better than homemade yogurt too! Thanks for that memory!

Linda

• Marilyn Z says

This brings back great memories of my grandmother in her big farmhouse kitchen separating milk with a separator and then she and I would churn the cream into butter. My grandfather’s favorite treat was the buttermilk with corn bread in it. I never got it, but he loved it.

I am 70 and when I was a children’s librarian, one of the things I would do with the kids each year was show them how to make butter and they would shake the jar while I read stories and then we would all have fresh bread with fresh butter.

10. fishnlady says

You can make butter also by putting it into a bowl and use a mixer. It will turn to whipped cream then keep mixing on high and it will turn to butter. It’s a lot easier to get out of a bowl than a bottle. Just sayin!!!

I learned this method first, and then the hand mixer method a little later. Definitely easier! But I still enjoy doing it this way since it’s a nice little arm workout, and I don’t wind up splattering buttermilk all over the kitchen. (Plus I think it’s a good one to know as well, in the event that a hand mixer doesn’t happen to be available.)

11. Geraldine Spinks says

I worked as Activity Director in a nursing home. We used baby food jars and put small amounts of heavy cream in them and let the residents make their own butter. Serve them with hot biscuits and home made applebutter. They love it and is a good exercise for them.

12. Patty says

I used to churn butter for my grandmother. We grandkids used to fight over who got to churn the butter. I have been threatening to make my own butter. I do believe I will try now. Thanks for the post.

13. Linda Potter says

I made my first butter about sixty years ago. We had five cows and sold most of the butter we made. I was always facinated with the separater machine that separated the cream from the whole milk. The skim milk came out one spout and the cream came out a smaller spout. We also used a hand churn and we thought our arms would fall off before it ever became butter. We had a large wooden bowl that we scooped the butter into and had a large flat wooden paddle to smoothe the buttermilk out of the mass of butter. We kept adding cold water and washing the butter till the water was clear , then we added salt to taste. We had wooden 1 pound boxes that we lined with cheesecloth and filled with butter. We kept the butter in the cellar in an earthenware crock to drain overnight before taking it out of the boxes and wrapping it in butcher’s paper. Then we took it to town to sell. What skim milk the calves and hogs didn’t drink we kids had to and I still can’t stand skim milk. We always made “potcheese” from the remaining buttermilk. Dad always added a pinch of sugar while cooking it to counteract the acidic taste. Nothing fancy, but, as Emeril would say, “A little bit of that stuff would make a tire taste good !”

Linda

14. Linda Mechel says

About half an hour before every family holiday dinner, I take cream and put it in a mason Jar of the appropriate size, and then close it very tightly and hand it over to the kids. They take turns shaking it until we get butter. It takes quite a while (probably because I didn’t know it should be room temp) but it keeps the kids busy till supper is done. I never knew about rinsing it. We just put it on the table for dinner. The kids are too busy to continually ask when supper is done and we have great butter. There is never any left.

15. Great Mam says

Back in the late 1930’s and early 1940’s, I remember churning. Mother’s churn had a square stainless steel container that held probably about 5 gallons of cream/milk. It had paddles that churned the milk. They were turned by cogs like on an old fashioned ice cream freezer. The little ditty that I said while turning the handle was ” Come, Butter Come. Come in lumps as big as my thumb.” I know it seemed like hours before the butter “came.” Those were the days, my friends!

16. Mildred Floyd says

When my kids were little I would use butter making as a fun project. I put cream in a jar then the kids took turns shaking and turning. sometimes it worked and sometimes it did not, but we had fun doing it. we didnt go through any drying or rolling. i just put it through a strainer (kept the whey and used it in cooking). somtimes added salt after it was done. we got out the crackers (or fresh bread) and the butter would not make it to the refrigerator before it was eaten up. By the way, I do not think it is cheaper to make your own butter, just funner.

17. Rayne says

I volunteer at a living history museum site and we make butter by shaking it to show the children how things were done a hundred years ago before electricity. We have small jars and they each get a little cream. We group the children in three’s or four’s and let them take turns. Then we combine it and “wash” the buttermilk out in a long wooden bowl with a wooden paddle. We usually bake corn bread in a wood burning stove and give each child a piece of cornbread with fresh butter on it for their work. They are amazed that you don’t have to go to the store for everyday things.

18. Cheryl Sammons says

I used to work with kids at a YMCA Day Camp in 1971. I was 14 years old. We took cream in a large mouth quart size mason jar, heavy cream and a marble. The marble helped to ‘stir’ the cream. We took turns shaking the jar until we coldn’t hear the marble hit the sides of the glass anymore. Then we knew it was stuck somewhere in the ‘solid’. We poured off the buttermilk and pressed out the butter on a wooden cutting board until all the water was gone. I don’t remember rinsing it, but that was a few years ago and the memory isn’t what it used to be. This has been something that I have shared with my kids when they were younger. Hopefully, they will remember and pass it on to their children. I think I will add this to the family recipe book and add your website as a link for further information. Thank you for the memories.

19. Ozark Lady says

I make butter out of raw goats milk cream.

I use a quart jar, about a pint of cream, and one beater in my electric mixer. The splatters are contained in the jar. I do not have a separator, and goat’s milk is naturally homogenized, so it does take awhile to accumulate enough cream for butter.

I rinse the butter a lot, because to me, it still tastes like whipped milk, until the excess milk/water is removed.

Goats milk does not make yellow butter. It is snow white, but it does taste the same as the yellow when it is well rinsed and salted.

I find that homemade butter from raw goats cream does not keep as well as store bought butter, I suppose because it has no preservatives. But, the better it is rinsed, the longer it will keep.

Try to use fresh butter within a week if not frozen, if frozen it needs to be used within 30 days for best flavor. I find that beyond those dates, the butter tastes a bit “off” it is okay for baking, but not for fresh eating.

20. Yvette says

Hi, Carey! Just wanted to let you know that allfreerecipes.com featured this recipe in one of their free ebooks; “9 Easy Baking Recipes…” and the first step in the instructions reads “First, you’re going to want to bring the heavy cream to room temperature. In a saucepan, combine milk and butter. Heat over medium heat until butter is melted.” So, I decided to look up your website & get the “real” recipe. I’m sure others will figure it out but you might want to let them know they published it wrong in their ebook. Thanks for the wonderful recipe though!!

21. Lenoria says

This all sounds so good! We always made our own butter when I was younger and I actually hated churning but I loved the butter. For the person looking for flavors to add I have a suggestion that is my favorite and that is orange extract and honey to make orange honey butter, serve this on hot biscuits or rolls and it is heavenly!!

22. Candice S. says

Carey,

Great recipe. Thanks so much for taking the time out of your schedule to share. Also have to say its so sweet to see you posted this almost 3 yrs back and you are still taking the time to respond to all the many comments you have gotton. Such a sweet lady. Ok that will sum it up. Just wanted you to know i think your a sweet lady and the recipe was perfect! :)

Hi Helen,

The two are different. Heavy cream is the substance that rises to the top of fresh milk, and is always very rich in fat (between 36–40% fat content). Evaporated milk, on the other hand, is simply milk that has about 60% of its water removed, making it thicker. It only contains around 5% fat, I believe. Since the fat globules are the molecules that form together to make butter when agitated, the high fat content of heavy cream gets the job done with the best results. Hope this helps! :)

23. Kate says

On an episode of Top Chef, they put cream in half pint mason jars, with a pinch of salt, and a couple of marbles, and had the diners shake their own butter. I guess the marbles acted like mini churns and the butter formed fairly quickly. It looked like great fun. I plan to try it.

• Elaine Lake says

I know this is a tad late but since I just found this site and recipe, I thought I would comment anyway.

I would be a little leary of using marbles in a glass Mason jar as shaking glass marbles in a glass container might tend to crack the jar if the shaking got a tad enthusiastic. I would use marbles in a plastic container and maybe something like half of a wooden or plastic clothespin in a glass container. JMHO!

Elaine

24. BB says

I came here because the same recipe in the Ecookbook was confusing. First it said this recipe used heavy cream and Seltzer water but it (the water) was not listed in the ingredients. But even more confusing was the first step:

1. First, you’re going to want to bring the heavy cream to room temperature. In a saucepan,
    combine milk and butter. Heat over medium heat until butter is melted.

I’m not sure how this can be changed in the book, but it warrants a chuckle for sure!
    I hope to try this with our preteen niece and nephew on Thanksgivig to keep them busy.
    BB

25. Karen says

I have been making butter for years.. When I do it I use a mason jar and one side of a wooden clothes pin… it acts as a churn which reduces the time and shaking and also aborbs some of the liquid… just make sure to run a piece of sandpaper over the clothes pin first to remove the finish and eliminate any splinters that may fall into your butter

26. Marcia says

When I was small mother would ake butter using a quart jar. She would use either sweet cream or sour. She said she used to churn butter and sang a song.”Come butter come. Come butter come. Little ones so hungry and waiting for some.”

This technique wouldn’t work with soy milk, since its properties are different than that of dairy cream. There do seem to be some techniques out there for making soy based butter using oil and an acid (like lemon juice or vinegar) in conjunction with the soy milk.

27. Lisa Arnold says

Have thought of making butter my self. But making herbed butters for different purposes in cooking. Some for chicken, turkey, steaks, eggs and mashed tators etc. And keeping them in the freezer.

28. Susan Cropp says

oh, making butter brings back a lot of memories. As a kid I made a lot of butter, we had a very small dairy. about 6 cows that we milked twice a day. The fresh milk went into a cream separator, and we got skim milk and cream. Most of the cream was sold. ( I remember when I was really little we saved the cream in large a cream can, when it was full took it to the train depot. Took eggs there also) I used a Daisy butter churn for big batches and for small ones used the mixer to beat it. I was doing this and Mom was making bread. Hot rolls and fresh butter, didn’t get any better than that. Mmmm

My grandmother milked her cows and churned in a crock churn for years. Electricity was introduced to Sweet Home Community in rural Arkansas and from the proceeds of selling milk and butter she bought an electric churn with a 5 gallon glass jar. She must have thought this was a great luxury. I remember it well sitting on a chair so it could be plugged in to the screw in outlet of the light bulb hanging from the middle of the kitchen. At some point the jar was broken. Years later I inherited the churn and later found a replacement jar at Canton, TX flea market, but I have no fresh raw milk. After seeing your recipe and instructions, I will have to try some heavy cream and see if I can press it in the old wooden butter mold.

Thank you for sharing, Benna! And best of luck with the heavy cream. (I would love to find a supplier of raw milk for making butter and cheese, though I’m still not sure where we stand on the legality of it here in VT.)

30. Elaine Lake says

I have made homemade butter for years, no decades, starting when my son who is now 38 years old was just 2 or 3 years old. At that time (1978-79) we used one of the Tupperware tumblers with its seal but we put the heavy cream and a little salt in the tumbler, put on the seal and went outside and sat on the steps of our front porch. I would hand the tumbler to my son who enthusiastically shook it up and down until we had a clump of pretty yellow butter. Then we would go inside and fix a tube of biscuits and smother them, hot out of the oven, with the butter that we had just made.

31. Martie Gedney says

I have been making homemade butter for over 40 years. When the kids were young we used to give each one of them a jar (mason) 1/3 full of heavy cream and they would have a contest to see who could make butter first,lol. Today with the kids married and kids of their own we only make it for holidays. I have a one gallon plastic jug that has a screw on cap about 3 inches in diameter with a “flip up” cap for pouring. It is actually a juice jug but it makes butter sooo quick. I put a quart of heavy cream in it at room temperature and I will have butter in 5 minutes.

32. Nealla says

We rinse ours a little differently — we put it in a wide shallow container and use a wooden paddle-type spatula to work cold water through it, drain, repeat until the water worked through it remains clear — then we salt it. If you get too much salt in it, just work some more cold water through it. We use my grandmother’s Daisy churn that I am so grateful to have inherited….

33. deborah thompson says

I remember as a child, going to my grandmothers milking the cow and churning the butter.OMG it was so good ,nothing beats they taste today.I been looking for a way to make it. To me this is so much better for you than the stuff you buy at store.

34. Hollt Bergeron says

I am so confused! What is the seltzer water for? I don’t see this incorporated in the instructions. Please help!

I use the (empty) bottle to shake the cream until the milk and fat separate. The tapered top makes draining the buttermilk quite easy, and I then cut off the top with a pair of kitchen shears to remove the butter.

35. Wanda Hendrickson says

Seems to me when I was a child, once the churning was done, we didn’t so much rinse the butter, but rather dumped it into a big metal pan of cold, cold spring water, and squeezed the butter over and over. We’d dump that water out and start again, squeezing and squeezing in fresh spring water. We’d do THAT until no more buttermilk remained, then we’d put it in the wooden mold and upend it onto the lovely glass butter dish with the domed top. I still have that butter dish and its top, but not the churn nor the butter mold. I may be remembering this wrong….but I’ve read through all the comments, hoping to find another person who remembers doing this. Didn’t find anyone. So, I’m wondering if anyone will agree that this was also done.

36. Arletta Singleton says

We put our butter in pan of cold water and squeezed it until no more buttermilk came out. kept changing water. We then put it into wooden molds with wheat design that printed onto it. Still have a small “goat’ milk churn and the molds and glass dish with top for holding butter.

37. Gina says

My first grade teacher (who had also been my mother’s first grade teacher!) introduced our class to making butter for “Pioneer Days,” and we were all delighted to have a turn at shaking the container to make our butter.

Can you tell me the volume you get from heavy cream used? Is it about half? Thanks!