Pumpkin Doughnut Muffins,
Filled with Nutella

Yup. I warned you these were coming! As if pumpkin doughnut muffins weren’t tasty enough on their own, I needed to fill them with nutella. Sometimes cramming as much delicious as possible into one treat just seems like the right thing to do.

This decision, quite frankly, was for my own good. Apparently I have this problem with nutella where, uh, I can’t stop eating it. I don’t even want to tell you how much had disappeared by the end of this photo shoot. “Oh look, there’s some excess nutella on this plate, might as well clean it up with my fingers.” “And oh no, now this knife is covered in it too. I certainly wouldn’t want to waste it by washing it down the sink!” “Oh and of course I will eat this bread covered in nutella.” That went on for 20 minutes. I spent the next half an hour cursing my lack of will power and the serious serious stomach ache it had caused, while slowly sinking out of my chair, onto the floor. At that moment, I never wanted to see nutella again. I even managed to climb back up into my chair to put out a call to local facebook friends to please PLEASE take some off my hands. But the nausea soon subsided, and the nutella cravings returned.

By that evening, I was already brainstorming more respectable ways to consume the stuff. Possibly sandwiched between shortbread? Or maybe in a frosting of some sort? I decided to check The Flavor Bible’s pairings for hazelnuts, in the hope the it would provide me with some sort of direction. And there it was in bold letters: pumpkin. And almost simultaneously, I remembered this post. Oh my god, nutella-filled pumpkin doughnut muffins — that was it!

Nutella. Pumpkin. Doughnut. Muffin. Is there any greater combination of words? Perhaps if I managed to get bacon in there too. (Don’t think it didn’t cross my mind.) But I didn’t want to be responsible for any awe-induced fainting that might endanger the lives of others. Safety first!

I will note that as these were baking, I was slightly concerned about the end result. First, I was worried I may have filled the muffin pan cups up too far. They were over 3/4 of the way full, and I still had batter left over. I nervously watched them rise in the oven, sure that they were going to explode out over the top and turn into ugly, freakish things. When the timer finally rang, I opened the door and was delighted to find that they hadn’t! But then I became concerned that the consistency wasn’t quite right, or I’d let them bake too long, as the outsides were very smooth and felt a bit dense. Would sugar even stick to them? Did I waste my precious nutella AND pumpkin on dense muffins blobs? Did Martha Stewart seriously just fail me?? I let them cool, brushed them with butter and dipped them in sugar, and then waited until after dinner so J and I could try them simultaneously. I prefaced this with my concerns about their consistency, and then we each tore one in half and had a taste. And wow, I was honestly shocked — they were awesome! The texture is very much like that of a cider doughnut (or any other baked doughnut, I suppose). And the nutella is the perfect complement to the pumpkin flavor. I would actually recommend having more nutella on hand to add to the muffin as you eat it! And as further testament to their deliciousness, I told E (hater of anything hazelnut) that he could try one if he wanted, as long as he picked from the non–photo worthy ones where the nutella had risen to the top. He ate FOUR.

Nutella-Filled Pumpkin Doughnut Muffins
(inspired by US Masala; adapted from Martha Stewart)

Batter:

• 10 tbsps (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, softened (plus more for pan)
  • 3 cups of all-purpose flour (plus more for pan)
  • 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp coarse salt
  • 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp ground allspice
  • 1/3 cup of buttermilk
  • 1 1/4 cups of pure pumpkin purée
  • 3/4 cup of light brown sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • nutella (store-bought, or make your own!), as needed (approximately 1/4 of a cup)

Sugar Coating:

• 3/4 cup of granulated sugar
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ginger
  • 1/2 tsp all spice
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/4 stick of butter, melted

Preheat over to 350°. Butter and flour a standard 12-cup muffin pan.

Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices together in a medium bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk and pumpkin purée. In a large bowl, beat butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat eggs into butter/sugar mixture one at a time. On low speed, alternately add in flour mixture and pumpkin/butter milk mixture until everything is just combined.

Add 2 tbsp of batter to each muffin cup. Add 1 tsp of nutella to the center of the batter in each cup, then evenly distribute the remaining batter over top, until cups are just a little over 3/4 full. (You will likely have some batter leftover. I didn’t dare go higher than 3/4 because I didn’t know how the batter would behave, but you might be able to push it a bit more if you want.)

Bake for 25–30 minutes, or until muffins just begin to turn golden brown on top. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes.

While muffins are cooling, melt butter for topping and whisk together sugar and spices in separate bowl. After muffins have cooled for 10 minutes, brush with butter and roll in sugar mixture.

These muffins are best eaten immediately, or within a day or two of having been made. Keep some extra nutella handy to enjoy with them!

Comments

Oh, no, you didn’t. These are marvelous. I thought I was clever last fall by baking sweet potato muffins and frosting them with store bought nutella (no blog post, just some photos), but this is a whole ‘nother level.

Also, I can’t stop staring at that top photo. It’s gorgeous!

Hehehe, I really started off my fall baking with a bang! I’ve been dreaming of pumpkins for over a month now. :D

Oh my, those sweet potato cupcakes look awesome! I really need to start using sweet potato in more dessert dishes. Sometimes I wonder what sweet potato whoopie pies would taste like, with some marshmallow frosting in the middle.

2. Lynda says

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! I volunteered to make muffins/pumpkin bread for a teacher appreciation day and I WILL be doing this – oh my oh my oh my!!! Now I may need to do about a dozen extra – just to make sure there will be enough to keep at home… I always add dark chocolate chips to my pumpkin muffins – but I love this take on it! Thanks for posting!!

Yay! I usually add mini chocolate chips or little bits of dark chocolate to my pumpkin muffins too! I debated chips and nutella for a hot second when I was making these, but I thought that might be a little over the top. :)

Carey, I am completely in love with your blog…it helps that this is the second recipe featuring Nutella (one of my all-time favorite things). I can’t imagine a better flavor combination. Throw in some pumpkin and the word donut, and I’m sold. Your photos are stunning!

Thank you so much, Kasey! I am already over-obsessing about this pumpkin and nutella combination. Earlier I was dreaming about a pumpkin layer cake with chai frosting and nutella between each layer…I need help.

Oh no!! These will be the death of me as I will make them and eat all of them myself right on the spot! I’m gluten free, so I might try to tweak the recipe a bit to make it GF friendly :)

Your photos and recipes are absolutely delightful :)

I made these just today, and found that the nutella had a tendency to not stay contained in the muffin, something that could be chalked up to using the store-bought brand, perhaps? Also, was the batter supposed to be rather think, or was it supposed to be thinner, like a quickbread?

Not that my clinical group minded any potential “mistakes”.

Did I mention that your photos are wonderful?

Thank you, Allyson! :)

Hmmmm, that definitely seems possible. My nutella was still a bit on the solid side when I added it to the muffin cups (having only taken it out of the fridge right when I started putting the batter together), and even then around half the muffins wound up with nutella creeping up and out of the top. Perhaps it would help to chill the nutella a bit before using it for the recipe, or maybe only adding a tbsp of batter before the nutella rather than two would help keep things a bit more contained.

The batter should be very thick. (Like so thick that you kind of have to push it off the measuring spoon to get it into the muffin tin.) The consistency of the batter and the fact that some of the nutella was displaced during the baking process definitely had me set up for disappointment, so it was a pleasant surprise to find them to still be delicious! I’m glad your group enjoyed them!

6. Mary says

Carey,

I just wanted to let you know that I have made these sinful beauties three times now and the addiction just keeps getting worse! They’re seriously like a cross between the best muffin you ever had and a yummy sugar-coated donut. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!

It’s so great!!!! I was over when I tasted the gooey hazelnut cream, thanks :) all of your recipes are wonderful and inspirate me!
    I hope you don’t mind I also posted in my blog – marking you as a source of course :)

I stumbled upon this site by accident and, after seeing a couple of your posts, couldn’t resist browsing through your archives. Love your photography and recipes! Very thoughtful and genuine.

These muffins sound divine. I love the combination of the pumpkin and nutella along with heaps of butter (the more the better, I always say!), and the use of buttermilk to improve texture, taste and color. Well done! I look forward to your future posts.

AGHHHHHH! Those look so amazing – I am trying to think of how I can make a vegan version. what could I use instead of eggs? anyone have any ideas. I need some more pumpkin in my life! I an american and now I live in Spain – they have very few pumpkins – only in october/november and you have to really hunt for them- anyone ever have success with puree-ing pumpkin and then freezing it?
    Ko-Shin
    DiamondLife

I’ve always been a fan of coconut oil as an egg replacement in muffins. I’d swap out the 2 eggs for 1/4 cup of (melted) coconut oil, increase the baking powder by 1 tsp (so 1 tbsp + 1/2 tsp), and cut out the baking soda entirely.

Also, pumpkin puree freezes quite nicely. (It works especially well if you measure it out into 1 cup portions and freeze them that way.)

1. [...] this look delicious?  I found this recipe on Reclaiming Provincial.  It’s a beautiful site with so many wonderful recipes and the photography is just amazing! [...]

2. [...] {Photo from Reclaiming Provincial.} [...]

3. [...] Nutella Pumpkin Donut Muffins by Reclaiming Provincial…there isn’t a thing I don’t like about that. Carey even used her own Homemade Nutella. Whoa, girl! [...]

4. [...] Recipe and Photo credit to reclaimingprovincial.com [...]