Hey guys! Today, I’m trying out something new. Here goes…
If I could pick one thing to improve upon when it comes to this site (let’s pretend for a second that all of those sidebar buttons actually go to real, helpful places with actual information……ugh, the casualties of site redesign), it would be the frequency of my posts. I usually manage one per week, but even that can be a bit of a challenge — especially on the days when my 40+ hr/week book-making job leaves me feeling like the only way to alleviate my stress and annoyance would be to tear all of the books I’ve worked on from my shelves, throw them on top of a pile of manuscripts in the middle of my floor, then set the whole thing ablaze and bask in the warm, soothing glow until there’s nothing left but embers and ash.
Still, I want to do more here. And not just because I enjoy taking pictures and typing out all the blather bouncing around in my head. Over the past several months, I feel as though I’ve finally started to become comfortable with my voice on this site. In the beginning, this was all very strange territory for me, and I was cautious. I watched my mouth. I muted opinions that I thought could maybe, possibly offend someone somewhere in the world. In short, I tiptoed. There was food. And there were words about food. And it was all good fun, but it didn’t totally feel like me. Since I’ve started acting more like myself, it seems like the dialogue my posts initiate has improved as well. And that’s only natural, I suppose. The great thing that I’ve come to realize about the Internet is there’s so much out there. Sometimes, people will choose to state their disagreements with you. (To this day, this comment is one of my favorites. I spent about an hour contemplating the most tactful way to explain why I thought “nut cheese” was gross.) But for the most part, those who don’t enjoy what they find in one place will just move on to another. And so, I think it serves me well to just be myself, and enjoy the benefits of garnering a like-minded readership. (You guys, after all, are my favorite thing about this whole blog business, and the reason I respond to every comment!)
So, in an effort to be more engaging, give shout-outs to bits of inspiration I’ve found during the week, and shake the post-after-post monotony up a bit, I’ll be doing Weekly Rewind posts every weekend. Some if it will be food. Some of it will not. I do promise that subsequent posts will not be as wordy as this. And just a warning: if nothing particularly interesting/photogenic is happening on my desk in the morning, there maybe be pictures of cats instead. In fact, here’s one now:
And now, without further ado…
1. This weekend, these cookies happen. I knew I wouldn’t have time to whip up a batch of ice cream along with them, but then I remembered that the local market had Jeni’s Pumpkin 5-Spice ice cream the last time I was there. This could get out of hand.
2. I think the judicial system should incorporate embarrassment into punishments more often, especially for things as unbelievably stupid as this.
3. I need these straws.
4. The gorgeous beginnings of bitters. I can’t wait to see what Eva does with these!
5. This is the best thing I’ve seen all week. No contest.
6. I am dying to make this bread. (Especially because it gives me an excuse to buy more Pyrex.)
7. I know this is true because I’ve seen my cat come bursting out of the bushes across the street with a poor animal in his mouth on several occasions, yet none of them seem to find their way to my doorstep.
8. I am so excited about this book, and it’s finally available for pre-order!
9. This winter, I will make pine needle syrup.
10. Coming up next: I have been obsessing over Deb’s suggestion of making a savory version of her pop tarts for years now. I finally did it, and they were AMAZING. There’s garlic. And kale. And cheese. And cauliflower purée. (Here’s a sneak peak.) Stay tuned!