Beet Hash Breakfast Wrap

Happy New Year, everyone!

The start of a new year is an interesting thing. In the past, I’ve found this time a little……annoying. There’s all this talk of resolutions and exercise and salads, to the point where it can seem pushy, and perhaps a little deluded. But this year, I don’t really mind it so much, and I’m not even sure why. Maybe it’s because this year, I have some serious goals. Ones that will require focus, sacrifice, and, dare I say, resolve. Or perhaps I’ve come to appreciate this cyclical experience we all seem to share — one which becomes increasingly apparent as our calendar year ends and a new one begins. After the chaos and glitz and indulgence of the holidays has faded away, it seems only natural to take a moment to reflect and detox (physically and mentally), and ponder what the next cycle might bring. Perhaps I’ve come to appreciate how comforting it can be to know that — though our reflections on the past and hopes for the future may differ — we are all still looking both backward and forward together. Or maybe I just really need a salad. (Scratch that last “maybe” — I could definitely use a salad. Many salads.)

For the past six months, there has been an ever-growing stack of too-big or not-quite-right sale items and thrift store finds in my closet, awaiting alterations. During my holiday vacation, I decided it was time to drag out the sewing machine and get to work. As I dug through the pile of clothes and tried various things on to remind myself of what needed to be done, I was a bit dismayed to discover that many items weren’t quite as big as I’d remembered them being…… If you subscribe to the belief that anything’s possible, then it’s definitely possible that those clothes shrunk over time. If you’re one of those “facts” people, you might graciously point out that chasing my breakfast and lunch with cookies every day for the past couple months probably helped to make these clothes “fit better.” Either way, it made me realize that now might be a great time for healthy things. And I’d like to share one of my favorites with you.

Several posts ago, I made a joke about how most of the healthy things I eat don’t get the chance to make an appearance here, as they’re usually some sort of boring, lazily thrown-together frankenfood that no one would want to see. It made me realize that this wrap, however, is worthy of note. It’s quick, simple, and delicious. I’ve actually been eating some variation of this for breakfast almost every day for the past year or so. If you’d told me a few years ago that beets would become one of my favorite vegetables, I wouldn’t have believed it. And it’s easy to see why. The beet can be a mysterious, somewhat intimidating thing — an intense vegetable, on all fronts. So finding ways to work with it and other flavors that complement it can be exciting (especially if you’ve shied away from it for most of your life). And I’m here now to tell you that beets + eggs + cheese = AMAZING.

I’m not sure if this is a traditional hash, per se, as there is no meat and/or potatoes. But I like to think of a hash as any combination of things that can be cut up and thrown together to cook in one skillet. Which brings me to my next point. The great thing about this dish is it welcomes customization (and leftovers from last night’s dinner). I’ll throw in quinoa or couscous if there happen to be leftovers in the fridge. If it’s summer and I’m craving protein from riding my bike all the time, I’ll use two eggs. Carrots are a great addition. Cauliflower is good too. Brussels sprouts (believe it or not) are awesome. (This next suggestion is bordering on shameful bachelorette secrets best kept to oneself, but…) If you happen to have any sort of a vinegary slaw on hand, add it in. SO GOOD. Also, some sort of mustard vinaigrette with this is to die for. (I had a jar of mustard pickles in my fridge from the last summer farmers’ market, and I was pouring a little bit of the brine over everything before I wrapped it up for weeks. Now it’s gone, and I am sad.) I will also say that I think the four basic components of this dish are musts.

1. Red beets. I’ve tried golden and chioggia, and they’re fine. But not as good.
  2. Sharp cheddar cheese. Normally, I love goat cheese with beets, but it feels a little too decadent for breakfast. Cheddar is perfect, and adds a nice saltiness as well.
  3. Corn. While the beets are the star flavor, their texture leaves something to be desired. The corn kernels do a good job of breaking this up and adding a nice little pop.
  4. Eggs. Because it’s breakfast.

Just one final thing. (Sorry, I am realizing how I attached I seem to be to this silly wrap after eating it religiously for so long.) Grating beets makes a mess. Your hands will be pink. Your counter will be pink. You might get some rogue beet juice splatters on your face and clothing. (I’ve actually had people say to me, “I think you might be bleeding” and then point to my face……because apparently I sometimes leave my house without looking in the mirror.) I have one particular cutting board designated for beet use that is now a permanent shade of pink. So just keep that in mind. And remember to examine your face before you go out in public.

Beet Hash Breakfast Wrap

• 1 cup of grated red beets (I usually use one small beet or half of a large beet — 3–3.5 oz.)
  • 1/2 cup of corn (fresh or frozen — I use frozen)
  • 1/3 cup of grated sharp cheddar cheese
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 large wrap (between 10″ to 12″)
  • 1 tbsp olive oil

Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add corn and beets, and saute for around 3 minutes, or until the beets begin to look slightly wilted.

Push corn and beets to one side of the skillet and add the beaten egg. Let the egg cook until it is just done, then scramble it around with everything else.

Add the contents of the skillet to a wrap and top with cheddar cheese, then roll up.

Comments

Since beets have only recently entered my food vocabulary, I’m still unsure of how to incorporate them with other ingredients, but this hash looks like a good place to start. Eggs and cheese are reliably complementary with just about everything savory, I think. And bachelorette food is the best! (I’m ready for healthier things as well, haha)

Anyway, I’ve been kind of absent from blogging recently, so I didn’t have the chance to wish you a happy new year! I hope it’s a great one!

Beets were definitely a weird thing for me to start working with. It was only after I began making this wrap that they became a dietary staple. (Which is kind of funny, because I don’t even bother trying to use them any other way at all now.) I did make a beet-lemon shrub though, and it was delicious!

Happy new year, Linda! I hope you had a great time out in CA! (And aren’t hating the cold too much now that you’re back on the east coast. It was –9° when I got up the other day……stupid winter.)

I wish to high heaven that this had been my breakfast every day for the last year. We grated beets last winter to make a beet rosti. Said rosti turned into a pile of crispy grated beets–it fell apart when we tried to get it out of the pan!–but it was definitely messy and definitely delicious. I love that you have a cutting board specifically for grating beets. That is such a smart idea! We get into breakfast ruts every few months or so. This would be a great way to wake up in the morning!

Hope you had a wonderful holiday season!

Oh man, a beet rosti would be so good! (One of my favorite latke/fritter things to throw together is made with grated beets and carrots. For a while now, [partly because of this wrap and partly just because I'm crazy] I’ve had visions of an epic vegetarian double burger, with one beet-carrot fritter and one corn fritter, topped with cheddar cheese and goat cheese and a big ol’ runny egg. But I digress…)

Sometimes I wonder if I’m in a breakfast rut because I’ve been eating this wrap for so long, but I still love it too much to give it up. I’ll try to switch things up now and then, but I always find myself coming back to this wrap.

Happy New Year, Brianne! :)

3. Laura says

So…uh…help. I see that you mentioned brussel sprouts would work in this, which is great, because I have those, cheese, and eggs on hand, but no beets. And I don’t know CRAP about cooking brussel sprouts. In fact, I’ve only ever had one before, and that was on a Golden Corral buffet – not the best indicator. Lol. So could I do this whole thing with the brussel sprouts instead of the beets? I’d likely be cooking it in the morning and bringing it to work to re-heat at lunch.

Hehe! My favorite way to cook brussels sprouts is to peel off any icky looking outer leaves, then cut them in half, toss them with olive oil and a bit of kosher salt and pepper, then roast them in a 450°. (Roasting time will vary depending on the size, but it will probably be anywhere from 20–40 minutes. Once you start to see some browning on them and they look like they’ve softened up a bit, they’re all set.) That’s kind of a process to go through in the morning, though, but it would work great if you did it the night before and then just chopped them up a little and tossed them in a wrap with everything else. Alternatively (and this might be a better option, texturally speaking), you could shave them with a mandoline or chop them into fine strips, and then just saute them up in a pan as you would have with the beets.

If you try this, definitely let me know how it turns out! I am a major brussels sprouts addict, and making this with 100% b sprouts has really piqued my interest.

I love this! Beets seem to take really well to the soil in my backyard, but aside from pickling, I’ve been having a hard time finding other ways to enjoy eating them. I am all out of beets now but should have more in a month or two, looking forward to trying out this beet hash then! Yay beets!

Oooo, that’s awesome. I dream about having a large garden where I can grow all the beets I could ever want (that would have to be one big garden!). I need to start learning how to pickle things. I’ve broken at least three glass/ceramic items in the last couple years from hot water mishaps, and I think that’s probably why I fear the big ol’ canning water bath. But it’s a silly fear, and one I will conquer! (Oh also, one of my other favorite beet dishes is beet & goat cheese ravioli. So good!)

Right?! I have no idea how that happened, and I don’t know if I can take credit for it. :) Seriously, when I was photographing those, I was thinking to myself, “Why are you bothering? You know it’s just going to look like a weird red pile of yuck.” Not this time!

Bring on the healthy, sexy food shots! As nice as it is to see (and eat) cookies, etc., for months at a time, it’s soooo nice to have an alternative that looks just as amazing. Plus, the idea of vegetables for breakfast just feels right. Especially now that I’m, erm, fitting into my clothes a little closer, too. Happy New Year! xoxo

I’m so ready for less cookies, more healthy things. (Considering that I eat this wrap almost every day, it’s probably the only reason I still kind of fit into my clothes at this point!)

Happy New Year, Kati! :)

6. Laura says

Wanted to check in and let you know I made the sprout version of this as you suggested above! Did the thin slices. I had it yesterday for lunch (microwaved for 30 seconds) inside a whole wheat pita pocket. Tried it today inside a whole wheat tortilla, and THAT was a bad idea. I had a bad experience about 6 years ago with a South Beach Diet brand sesame chicken freezer meal, so the thought of a whole wheat tortilla wrap just freaks me out and makes me stomach churn. Tried it today since you suggested a wrap, and yup, the smell just screws with my head. But I ended up just unwrapping it and picking out the yummy filling anyhow. It did seem much better straight off the stovetop, but I did enjoy it. Thanks so much for the idea! Brussel sprouts…who knew.. (you!).

Ah! Isn’t it horrible when a bad experience with a food leads to the smell of that food being forever linked to nauseating memories? (When I was around 10 or so I started getting kind of car sick on the way to the Adirondacks. Then my brother decided to open a box of Vanilla Wafers, and I could no longer keep the nausea at bay. I still can’t stand the smell of them! And my parents thought I was complaining about not feeling well just to get out of going. I sure showed them……)

I’m so glad you enjoyed this otherwise, though! I’ve been throwing in brussels sprouts more and more since I wrote this post. So good! :)

7. Laura says

FYI…I saw the tortillas sitting on the counter this morning, and got worried they would soon start to go bad, so I slathered some Smart Balance peanut butter on it, threw on some blueberries, and sprinkled some “old-fashioned” oats on top (I don’t know the difference between oats!), and rolled it up, and had it for breakfast at work just now while catching up on your posts. It was a very carey-inspired breafast if i do say so myself. I was able to overcome the phantom smell and polish the whole thing off. With that being said, good luck on your vanilla wafer crisis! I can’t imagine!!

1. [...] Savory and sweet Beet Hash Breakfast Wraps, loaded with sweet beets, white cheddar, fresh corn and eggs. Thank you, Reclaiming Provincial, for [...]

2. [...] 11. Reclaiming Provincial | Beet Hash Breakfast Wrap [...]