Blue Bottle Double-Chocolate Cookies

So back in December, I talked about how I made two different batches of cookies from The Blue Bottle Craft of Coffee, because I could not choose one over the other. These, at last, are those other cookies. The holidays came and went before I knew it, and I realized it might be best to hold onto this post until late January, when healthy resolutions become a little more “flexible” and thoughts start to turn to the chocolatey decadence of Valentine’s Day.

And these cookies are deliciously decadent. The raw batter is ahh-may-ziing [say it in a sing-song voice]. The one place I went wrong was when I decided to make these normal size cookies, rather than following the instructions to make them semi-ginormous. Honestly, I don’t know what I was thinking when I did that. (Actually, I was probably saying to myself, “If I make these normal size, then I can eat four at a time and it’ll be ok!”) But as a person who loves those dinner plate–sized cookies that actually taste more like one giant brownie, I should know better.

My misstep on size, however, did lead to something delicious. Because I was missing the gooey decadence that comes with a bigger cookie, I found myself craving some other texture, and perhaps a little sweetness. And because I had a pomegranate and a jar of raspberry jam lying around, jammy madness ensued.

Now, I ate these like an open-faced cookie sandwich, and I feel a little undignified telling you that. I guess that’s because an open-faced cookie sandwich isn’t exactly something that can be prepared and stored. So you instead have to picture me sitting there with my jar of jam and bowl of pomegranate seeds, going to town on a pile of cookies. If you’re alone, I totally recommend giving that method a try. If you do make them into true cookie sandwiches, you can store them and eat them at reasonable intervals I suppose. But the pressure of the top cookie does tend to cause jammy pomegranate messes. So no matter what you do, it’s probably best if you just check your dignity at the door. You’re eating a delicious, double-chocolate, messy cookie sandwich. Enjoy it. OWN IT.

Now, back to the original recipe. To cut the decadence of the chocolate, these cookies are studded with coarse sea salt. The Blue Bottle uses Maldon, but I saw this as the perfect opportunity to use my Old Salt Merchants sea salt. The flakes are gloriously huge, and perfect for these cookies. If you do choose a very large flake sea salt like this, I recommend upping the amount you use, as a teaspoon of very coarse anything will seem like much less than a teaspoon of the same thing, more finely ground.

HOLY CRAP, you guys, do you know what I just realized?! As I was thinking about the fact that the Blue Bottle book actually gives instructions on the amounts of sea salt to use depending on the coarseness, I realized that I don’t HAVE the book with me here in NY. And then I went into a mini panic. I wrote this whole post, and I can’t actually give you the recipe to make these things! But then I calmed down and decided that before I called J at 9:00am to tell him to go to my apartment immediately to find the BB book and recite the recipe to me, maybe I should check the Internet first. And sure enough, other people have made these things. THANK YOU, Internet. You are glorious.

Blue Bottle Double-Chocolate Cookies
(from The Blue Bottle Craft of Coffee)

yield: 9 large cookies

• 1 cup of all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup of natural cocoa powder (not Dutch-process)
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 5 tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1 cup of sugar
  • 1 tsp high-quality coarse salt
  • 1 egg, at room temperature
  • 1 tbsp vanilla extract
  • 3.5 oz  dark chocolate, 62%-70% cacao, coarsely chopped

Sift together flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda into a medium bowl.

In another bowl of the bowl of your stand mixer, beat the butter on low until smooth, around 1–2 minutes. Add the sugar and salt and beat on low until well-combined. Scrape down the bowl, then beat at medium speed until the mixture becomes lighter in color and the texture becomes fluffier, around 5–6 minutes.

In another bowl, combine the eggs and vanilla extract and whisk vigorously until well blended. (As soon as you add the vanilla to the egg, begin whisking immediately. Most vanilla extracts are made with an alcohol base, and will curdle the egg if left to sit. [Mine appeared to curdle ever so slightly, but it still worked out fine.])

Slowly add the egg mixture in a steady stream to the bowl containing the butter, beating on medium speed until well-incorporated and very smooth, around 30 seconds. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and then mix on medium speed for another 30 seconds.

Scrape down sides of bowl, then add the flour mixture. Mix on low speed until uniform in texture. Scrape down the bowl again, then add the chopped chocolate. Mix on low speed until the color is a uniform brown and no streaks of white remain.

Using a rubber spatula, scrape the dough onto a piece of plastic wrap. Shape the dough into a rough disk, wrap tightly and refrigerate at least 3 hours and up to 5 days.

Preheat your oven to 350°. Line your baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.

Roll 1/4 cup portions of the dough into balls and place them on the baking sheet, spacing them at least 2 inches apart. (They’ll be big, so give them plenty of room.)

Bake 11–12 minutes, until the cookies are slightly firm to the touch and the surface is no longer glossy, rotating the pan midway through the baking time. Let the cookies cool on the pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.

Cookies are best when eaten immediately, but can be stored for up to 3 days in a airtight container.

(And if you do happen to want to try making these smaller as I did, form the dough into normal-sized balls [about the size of a golf ball] and bake for around 8 minutes.)

Comments

Thank you, Sara! :) It’s part great indirect lighting (which unfortunately only exists in my living room), part post-production touches in Lightroom. (I started adding vignetting to my pictures fairly recently, which really adds to the drama and draws the eye in towards the subject .)

Oh these look so dramatic and dark, and chocolate is always better darker. I love the sea salt and dark chocolate combo, so much in fact I often buy sea salt sprinkled chocolate bars. I wonder could Roasted marcona almonds be used in this recipe with out too much change?
    Fantastic photos, I would love to take photos like yours!

Thank you, Belinda! I think these would definitely be great with some roasted almonds as well (you could probably cut back on the chopped chocolate a little bit to accommodate the almonds). I hope you enjoy them!

I think the very idea of a cookie sandwich is silly. They’re cute and all, but you know you’re going to go in for a bite and get frosting all over your face, and fingers, and possibly your pants. Most cookies are just too hard to keep a soft filling together, you know? Even whoopie pies, with their cakey exterior, are super messy! I appreciate your practicality in presenting an open-faced sandwich here–this should trigger a movement!

When I was in Minneapolis over the holidays, I went to a cupcake shop (they don’t have those anywhere near where I live; this was quite a novel experience) and I had a chocolate cupcake with raspberry jam filling and raspberry buttercream. I hadn’t had anything chocolate and raspberry for a long time, but now I can’t stop thinking about the two together! Yum.

Agreed! The only cookies sandwiches I can really get behind are things like the PF Milanos and Brussels, because of their solid chocolate middles. Anything messier will wind up on my clothes and in my hair. Definitely not something to be eaten in the company of others!

There’s a cupcake shop that opened up in downtown Burlington this year. I’m curious, but I haven’t made it in yet. (They stay open late and even started serving wine, which sounds like a really great idea to me. But I can’t imagine the occasion that I could get Johnny to go in there and sit down for a cupcake and a glass of wine. [Especially since they have giant floor to ceiling windows on all sides of the building, which make you feel very "on display."]) There’s this girl at the winter farmers’ market that is a cupcake ARTIST. I’ve never seen (or tasted) anything like what she makes. There are s’mores cupcakes that actually have a crumbly graham cracker crust on the bottom and a charred marshmallow frosting top. And the most amazing root beer float cupcakes I’ve ever tasted. And tiramisu cupcakes that make me want to cry. She is unreal.

I never would’ve thought of adding a layer of raspberry jam and pomegranates, but it sounds (and looks!) delicious (but you know what I can’t get past? Eating the pomegranate seed. I suck off all the flesh on the aril and spit out each and every seed. Do you know how laborious that is?!). I am a sucker for anything double (or triple! or quadruple!) chocolate—I know I’ll have to make this sometime soon. I feel my resolutions crumbling, dangit Carey! But whatever. February’s all about making up for January’s abstaining ways.

Oh wow……wow! At least that’s a great way to really savor a pomegranate. :) I love crunching on the seeds, but I’m also one of those people that needs to put lots of strawberries in my smoothies, just to get that seedy crunch.

I really need to make these things normal size so I can enjoy the uber chocolatey-ness. They were great the first day, but once they got even a little bit old, they didn’t have that chewy decadence that I love in chocolate cookies. Next time!

Dear lordy those cookies look ace! and that salt… oh man, I’m freaking out. SO. FLAKY. I want to just reach into my computer screen and just crush a handful of it up.
    Ugh, why are you showing me these when I’m supposed to be finishing my art book!? And I juiced the only pomegranate that was around a few days ago, nooooooooo. I’m just going to have to sit here and eat a banana and pretend it’s because I’m being ‘healthy’. Hah. That is, until I can get my hands on a freaking pomegranate and some free time!

When I opened that salt, I took out a giant flake and ate it, and I’m pretty sure my blood pressure went through the roof and my eyes did that buggy cartoon thing. Yumm!!

My healthy food desires of the new year are totally waning. I made my parents “healthy” mac & cheese the other night using butternut squash cheese sauce, and then we ate enormous platefuls. I made these cookies so long ago that doing the post was semi-torturous, since there were no actual cookies to be eaten! And ever since I made these, I’ve been dreaming about brownies laden with pomegranate seeds. NEEDS TO HAPPEN. I think if I put enough pomegranate seeds in them, that should make them healthy!

Mmmmmm cookies. I understand why people try to post healthy recipes around the first of the year, but desserts are definitely my favorite food to gawk at on the internet, and these are no exception. They sound amazing, salty chocolate & a sweet fruit filling = :D

I’ve never tried making a cookie sandwich, but have made whoopie pies and while very tasty, they were also very messy. Kudos on the open-face cookie sandwich solution! It looks really pretty, too, with the jam all bright and shimmery :)

Thanks, Eva! I was totally psyched about my discovery of the open-faced cookie sandwich, even though I felt a little bit of shame about it. :)

There was one time Johnny and I stopped at a gas station and I asked him to get me a treat (meaning candy) and he came back with a whoopie pie. It almost destroyed our relationship. I mean, if it’s a DE-licious whoopie pie, I will eat it and happily deal with the mess. But a gas station whoopie pie?! I think he learned his lesson.

I lost my dignity a looong time ago when it comes to cookies + chocolate and especially chocolate cookies. And anyway, chocolate and pomegranates are both full of antioxidants. Practically a health food if you ask me :)

7. shweta says

Lady, you are after my own heart ! : ) these cookies look like little discs of luxury and indulgence. Thank you so much !! Raspberry jam is not easily available over here, but i am going to try this homemade grape jam and chocolate ganache..thank you !

Ooooo, yum! I bet they’ll be delicious with grape jam and chocolate ganache. They are definitely indulgent and luxurious. (: I hope you enjoy them, Shweta!

I think brown sugar could work as well, especially since the cookie flavor is pretty rich anyhow. (If you do try it, let me know how it turns out!)

Oh yay! And thank you! :) I was very excited to see that Linda made these cookies with a delicious twist. Totally making them for the boyfriend for Valentine’s Day!

Thanks, Averie! There are so many delicious recipes in there. I know I’ve surely overlooked some that I’ll happen on later and say, “oh my god, how did I not see this?!” :)

I just made these and wow! You were totally right. They’re fantastic. I made a few adjustments to suit my situation and I wasn’t sure if they would work, but they turned out perfectly. Now I just have to try to control myself around them.

Yay! So glad you enjoyed the, Kris! :) I love a good recipe that’s forgiving when it comes to substitutions. I made a double batch of these the other weekend, which led to me eating WAY too many cookies, not to mention raw batter as well…

(I got so excited about the coconut version, I almost forgot to respond to this after going to your post!) Totally awesome, and I can’t wait to try it! :D

1. [...] I’m totally making these. [...]

2. [...] so curious to try the Old Salt Merchants salts that I saw on Carey’s blog. [...]