Sriracha-Roasted Chickpeas & Cauliflower
with Pickled Mustard Seeds

Sriracha-Roasted Chickpeas & Cauliflower with Pickled Mustard Seeds

For everyone that celebrated Easter this past weekend, I hope you had a great time! I hosted again this year (and gave a little run-down of the menu on Saturday), and we had a blast. Good friends + good food + many emptied bottles of champagne = best. easter. ever.

While I was extremely happy with the way all the dishes turned out (despite the fact that we ate about an hour later than I intended), the stars in my eyes were two very simple things that I prepared the night before. So much so that I actually remade both so I could tell you all about them. We’ll talk about the other next week. (I’m super psyched for that, as I think I actually managed to improve it the second time around with the slightest of tweaks. Also, it involves booze. Huzzah.) But right now, we’re going to talk about my new favorite condiment: pickled mustard seeds.

mustard seeds

I first had pickled mustard seeds a little over a year ago at one of my favorite restaurants in town. They were tangy, a little sweet, and consistently delivered that awesome crunch that has me choosing coarse grain mustard over the smooth stuff any day of the week. I’d considered figuring out how to make them at home, but never quite got around to looking up a recipe. But when Easter planning began, I started dreaming of making an asparagus galette. I wanted asparagus and ricotta and parmesan, but I also wanted a little bit of a tang. Greek yoghurt came into play, but I wanted to add a little bit of additional texture as well. And that’s when it hit me: this was the excuse to finally make pickled mustard seeds.

Pickled Mustard Seeds

In my Saturday afternoon scramble at the store, I instructed E to grab some mustard seeds from the bulk section. “How much do you need?” he asked. “Oh, just a quarter of a cup or so is fine,” I said, thinking only about how much I would actually need for Sunday. I cooked them up Saturday evening, and was immediately sorry that I didn’t buy ten times that. I polished the remainder off less than 24 hours after Easter, mostly by piling them on bread with leftover whipped feta. After eating almost half a baguette on Monday, I considered it might be a good idea for me to find another way to consume these things, because I was definitely making them again ASAP. And that’s when I started thinking about this dish.

Sriracha-Roasted Chickpeas & Cauliflower with Pickled Mustard Seeds

And as if one addiction weren’t enough, I now have another: sriracha-roasted chickpeas. Now, I am that person who will take a cold container of leftover chickpeas from the fridge, cover them in an ungodly amount of salt, then eat them like popcorn. So, it clearly doesn’t take much to please me when it comes to garbanzos. However, taking an extra 15 minutes to toss them with olive oil, sriracha, and kosher salt, then throw them in a 450° oven makes them AMAZING. Salty, spicy, and just a little bit crunchy on the outside.

Sriracha-Roasted Chickpeas & Cauliflower with Pickled Mustard Seeds

This little dish wound up being pretty much everything I dreamed. In addition to the aforementioned ingredients (since including everything in the post title seemed a bit excessive), there’s a healthy squeeze of lemon juice and a few dollops of Greek yoghurt (not pictured in the dish here, as it kind of just makes everything look like a bit of a mess, ya know). The only thing that I think could have perhaps improved this was a little bit of cilantro, which I would have added had the bunch in my fridge not clearly crossed the questionable point. And while I’m still quite the onion hater, I think little bit of minced red onion might complement the other flavors nicely, if you don’t find them as vile as I do. But anyway — make this. Make lots of pickled mustard seeds and lots of sriracha-roasted chickpeas, and feast for days.

Sriracha-Roasted Chickpeas & Cauliflower with Pickled Mustard Seeds

Pickled Mustard Seeds

• 1 cup of mustard seeds
  • 1 1/2 cups of water
  • 1 1/2 cups of white wine vinegar
  • (I also saw a few recipes online that used rice wine vinegar instead, which I have yet to try)

• 1/2 cup of sugar
  • 1 tablespoon of salt

Combine the mustard seeds, water, vinegar, sugar, and salt in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a simmer over low heat. Cook, stirring often, for around 45 minutes, until the mustard seeds are plump and tender. Remove from heat and let cool, then transfer to a container and refrigerate. (They can be used right away, but they get even better after they’ve had a chance to sit in the fridge overnight.) Keep for several months.

Sriracha-Roasted Chickpeas & Cauliflower with Pickled Mustard Seeds

yield: serves 2 as a small dish

Sriracha-Roasted Chickpeas:

• 2 cups of cooked chickpeas
  • 1 tablespoon of olive oil
  • a spoonful or two of sriracha (depending on your heat preference)
  • a pinch of two of kosher salt

Preheat oven to 450°. Toss chickpeas with oil, sriracha, and salt until evenly coated. Spread on baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, stirring once or twice while baking. Remove from oven and let cool.

Roasted Cauliflower:

• half of a small head of cauliflower, cut into florets
  • 1 tablespoon of olive oil
  • a few pinches of kosher salt
  • a little bit of freshly ground pepper

Preheat oven to 450°. Toss cauliflower with oil, salt, pepper, then roast for around 30 minutes, or until cauliflower are beginning to brown and some of the thinner edges are starting to crisp. Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes.

Combine cauliflower and chickpeas in a bowl or on a plate. Add a few spoonfuls of pickled mustard seeds, a squeeze of lemon, and a dollop or two of Greek yoghurt to each bowl, then gently toss to distribute.

Sriracha-Roasted Chickpeas & Cauliflower with Pickled Mustard Seeds

Comments

Nice use of mustard seeds….I’ve never tried pickled mustard seeds….but this sure makes me want to try it out….siracha coated chickpeas sounds just irresistible!

Thanks, Archana! :) Pickled mustard seeds are really interesting (and delicious). Some people that tried them on Easter seemed skeptical (expecting something akin to strong, spicy mustard flavor, I suppose), but ended up being pleasantly surprised.

I’ve been roasting vegetables lately like it’s my job. It’s all I want to eat for meals and meals in a row. Will definitely be trying the sriracha-roasted chickpeas!

Pickled mustard seeds are one of my new favorite things as well! I use the momofuko recipe and they are so delicious. Really tasty in salad dressing as well!

Yeah! I looked at so many recipes online and wound up creating kind of a hybrid of a few. I saw a few posts that referenced the Momofuku recipe “with adaptations,” so I wasn’t quite sure what the original recipe was. (Sadly, I do not own the book yet. Which I should remedy.) I did see some calling for rice wine vinegar and mirin, which I would also love to try.

• Miriam Dema says

I just went and looked and the momofuku recipie is exactly the same except that it does specify ‘rice wine vinegar’. Which is always in our fridge so that accounts as to why I followed it to the letter after i ordered seeds from penzys.

Oh my goodness Carey. This is everything I want to eat all the time. I love chickpeas in any form, but the texture and amped up saltiness of roasted ones is so out of this world. And then you added sriracha to the mix! Roasty cauliflower and briny mustard seeds too! We have a local company that makes a “triple crunch” mustard that is just pure seedy goodness. I put it on everything and it WILL appear in a version of this dish very soon. Whoop!

Hehe! As I was thinking up ingredients to add to the dish, I started getting REALLY excited, because it was pretty much all my favorite things put together. I ate it again today. :D

And oh man, triple crunch mustard sounds like my kind of mustard. I want that.

i have a bag of mustard seeds in my pantry that have been glaring at me for some time and some beets in the fridge that i will be roasting up for my current fave spring salad. methinks this would make an interesting pairing. will post pix on your FB page, if they turn out!

Yes! Beets and mustard are one of my favorite combos, and I’ve actually been throwing these pickled mustard seeds into my beet breakfast wraps, and they are awesome together. Definitely let me know how you like it, and send me some pics! :D

can mustard seeds go bad?? i did have that package for awhile… and i used a dark indian mustard seed… anyway, i am not deterred, i will try it again as it’s something that dw is interested in tasting. meanwhile, my beet salad is feeling rather naked today.

Oh boy — I have no idea! I would think not, but this is also coming from the person who thought walnuts didn’t go bad, then ate a few that tasted like paint thinner… :\

GURL. This dish exudes all sorts of earthy feels. Your homemade pickled mustard seeds are beautiful too, this is a bandwagon I absolutely must jump aboard. Happy (late) Easter!!

I’ve never even heard of pickled mustard seeds! They sound a bit like unground mustard, but with sugar and heat…hmm. Super interesting, and I bet they give the cauliflower and chickpeas some serious punch.

They’re very similar to unground mustard, although mine didn’t really have any heat — mostly tang. I’d love to try adding some garlic or other hot stuff into another batch, because I love me some spicy mustard. :D

I’m so curious right now. How do pickled mustard seeds feel in your mouth? Are they gooey, like tapioca pearls? Are they crunchy, like…oh, I don’t know…non-pickled mustard seeds might be? I can’t fathom the texture of this condiment, but I do know that I want some!

We have a hella bunch of ham in our refrigerator and have been using it creatively throughout the week. Last night it was a salad full of spring vegetables; tonight, there will be pizza. I made ham sandwiches on Smitten Kitchen’s fig, olive oil, and sea salt challah for lunch until the bread was gone. Oh, girl. figgy bread and ham in the middle?! It was one amazing sandwich. I’m glad your Easter feast was such a success!

Hehe! I literally spent half the day trying to come up with a way to describe this. :) They’re definitely quite crunchy, although the vinegar and sugar form a nice sticky outside coating (I’m avoiding the word slime here, but yeah, like delicious slime). I’d say think of the texture of sesame seeds or undercooked quinoa when it still has that nice crunch to eat, but……meatier. Like there’s more to crunch through. After eating them on pretty much everything for the past few days, I’m definitely read to declare them the perfect flavor-texture combo for anything you’d want to eat, ever.

I wish we had leftover ham still! We polished that off in 48 hours, along with all the other leftovers. (Thank god, because a full serving of scalloped potatoes is not a “snack,” no matter how much I try to convince myself it is.) And ham sandwiches out of that figgy salty bread sounds a-freaking-mazing. Maybe I should tell Johnny to make another ham. :D

Happy belated Easter! It’s such a non-holiday for me that I feel like a spoilsport because I sit it out. I’m happy to hear that yours turned out spectacularly though—and I hope this dream cake comes into fruition soon! Can’t wait to see the color your hibiscus frosting comes out.

I have the same question as Brianne. Gooey or crunchy? I’m imagining gooey, although I ate a pickled grape today that was surprisingly crunchy, so I guess there really is no predicting these things. It was very good, the grape, but that’s not saying much because I love most pickled things… except I developed a taste aversion to whole-grain mustard a couple years ago after a horrible mutant stomach flu kicked my butt within hours of eating a mustard-laden sandwich and things just haven’t been the same since! :( And I really liked mustard before. What do you think? Any chance I can overcome my dislike and enjoy this stuff?

Also, I finally got around to buying a head of cauliflower, inspired by you! Unsure of what to do with it, but I’m thinking roasting the heck out of it will result in something tasty.

Happy Easter! It’s such a funny holiday for me, since I basically think of it as Thanksgiving in the Spring, or another reason to eat a ton of food. But when I told a friend of mine that I was hosting Easter at my place, he asked if I celebrated it. And I was just like, “ummmm……I celebrate eating?” I should probably go back to referring to it as Feaster, to avoid confusion. :)

They’re still totally crunchy! Although not crunchy like a plain ol’ mustard seed would be. They soften up a bit, especially after they sit overnight in the fridge. They’re kind of like meatier, crunchier (and tastier) sesame seeds. But dang, I totally get that food-stomach flu aversion, and it stinks that it was whole grain mustard for you! (Mine is minestrone. Guuuh.) But I’m going to say that you should maybe give these a try. They actually aren’t very mustardy, per se. (Which sounds ridiculous because they are mustard seeds, but I mean more in the sense of mustards with a whole lot of other spices and flavors going on.) It’s just tang, sweetness, saltiness, and a whole lot of crunch, with a that signature mustard flavor.

And yaaayyy cauliflower!!! Oh man, roasting the heck out of it definitely gets my vote. Olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, and a whole lotta 450° until it gets all browned with crispy edges. It’s magical. :D

10. N says

I’m a fellow Burlingtonian (if that’s what you call it), and I recently discovered your blog. Love all the pictures, words, and recipes. You mentioned the mustard seeds in conjunction with one of your favorite restaurants in town, and I’d love to know what that is and where else you like eat! both here in burlington and in the rest of our great state.

Hi! So happy to have a fellow Burlingtonian reader! Oh man, restaurants. I’m trying to even think where to begin! (It might be easier to list the ones I don’t like!) I’ll just go over my absolute, tippy-top favorites:

Pistou (Burlington) — This was the restaurant I mentioned in my post. Pricier dining, but totally worth it.

Misery Loves Company (Winooski. They also have a food truck in the summer months.) — Killer sandwiches and baked good for lunch. Absolutely amazing dinner. They also do awesome things with cocktails.

Pizzeria Verità (Burlington) — They make amazing wood-fired pizzas (although this is more like “fine dining” pizza). They also do some of the best cocktails in town.

Pennycluse (Burlington) — Delicious breakfast and lunch. They’re pretty much always busy, but for good reason. (Other great breakfast/lunch options are Mirabelle’s in Burlington and Sneakers in Winooski.)

Stone Soup (Burlington) — This is more of a lunch/grab-and-go place. They have a great hot bar, awesome soups and sandwiches, and super baked goods. (The best chocolate-covered macaroons in the world. No contest.)

Vergennes Laundry (Vergennes) — A beautiful, phenomenal bakery. Salads, sandwiches, baked goods, espresso. I think they may even serve wine.

Bohemian Bakery (East Calais) — My favorite bakery for the food, location, and owners. They sell bread and such in some local places like Healthy Living and City Market, but they actually open up their bakery on Sundays (which is run out of a building on their property and usually closed to the public). Their baked goods are amazing and their property is so beautiful. I will go there on Sundays in the summer and just hang out for hours, eating way too much food. It’s a bit of a drive, but totally worth it.

Tiny Thai (Winooski and Essex) — Great Thai food (which is in questionable supply around here). I’ve only been to the Winooski location, but I’ve heard the Essex one is even better.

And if you want to take a trip to Waterbury for some fine dining, Hen of the Wood is amazing. I’ve also heard wonderful things about The Inn at Shelburne Farms and Guild & Co., but I have yet to go to either. Guild & Co. seems to have a great bar program as well. If you’re in the mood for just drinks, The Farmhouse has the best beer selection in town, and a great little downstairs lounge. And both Bluebird Tavern (Burlington) and Prohibition Pig (Waterbury) do awesome things with cocktails.

I think that sort of about covers it. There are so many great places to eat in Vermont, and a ton that I probably don’t even know about. :)

Pickles and mustard are two of my favorite things, so pickled mustard seeds sound like heaven. And the flavors of the dish as a whole sound wonderful too – smoky, spicy, sweet and vinegar-y. Perfect.

They are so good together. I was buying these mustard pickles from the farmers’ market last summer that were mostly cauliflower and zucchini, with some carrots — omg, I was/am obsessed. I can’t wait to see my pickle lady again in May. If she doesn’t have them on the first day, I will cry.

I’m dying over this dish! You had my heart at pickled mustard seeds. Seriously girl, that is genius! Grainy mustard and anything pickled are two of my favourites… how did it not occur to me to combine them? You were already amazing, and then you added Sriracha and your amazingness (not a word, I know) went over the top. I am completely overjoyed. I immediately went to my kitchen (this is not a lie) and made the pickled mustard seeds. Chickpeas are currently roasting (also love those little guys, especially when they’re crunchy!) and I’m doing a spin with broccoli. Dinner is going to be amazing and you are to be thanked!

Yay! That’s so awesome that you went right ahead and made the pickled mustard seeds and chickpeas. I bet they were awesome with the broccoli too. Thanks, Kris! :D

My goodness, this sounds incredible! I’ve never roasted garbanzos, but I’m with you in my enthusiasm for the little guys! And pickled things. And mustard. And what a perfect application for homemade sriracha! I love love love your enthusiasm for food! It’s impossible to not want to eat something after hearing you describe it. Such stunning photos, too! And I love “Feaster” – brilliant.

I have so much fun talking about dishes that I really, really love! And I think you will definitely love roasted chickpeas! I made so many, and I ate them with everything. :)

(And I still need to email you those sriracha tips! We were away for my Dad’s bday this weekend, and I’ve been slacking on everything!)

14. Nora says

I have to admit that I have fawned over your recipes a thousand times before, but have never put one to work in my own kitchen. I can identify a handful of explanations for this, but none more serious than the distraction posed by your boozy concoctions. It always happens the same way; I set out with good intentions of following through on one of your recipes, I buy ingredients, I strap on an apron, cue up the tunes, but then I get to the jumping off point and remember about booze. With a slight shudder at my near sober cooking foray, I make a cocktail, and from there it all dissolves pretty quickly. I get pots and pans of simple syrup going, stumble around the herb garden for garnishes, and pretty soon it’s midnight and I’m chewing on raw asparagus that was once destined to be a delicious dinner. Anyhow, today’s the day. I will make these damn chickpeas. Thank you for the lovely recipes.

p.s. you’re from Oneonta? my parental units live there.

Hehe! I definitely know how that goes. There are been a number of times when I’ve stopped mid-dinner preparations to throw together a couple of cocktails, and wound up with foods that were a little bit more “done” than I would have liked. :D

I’m actually from Jefferson! So pretty close to Oneonta. Yaayy upstate NY (and Brooks BBQ!). :)

Hey Carey-
    Have you ever tried whole grain mustard? I’m not exactly sure if that’s the right term for it’s from France and it’s amazing. Yours looks fantastic and I’m excited to try it. But if you’re interested here’s a link to the French stuff, it changed mustard for me forever (this one is directly from France, but where ever you can find it works great)

I do have one question. How do you store the chickpeas? Can you make them ahead and store them in a container or do they need to be refrigerated/ better eaten right away. I kind of just want to make them and carry them around as a snack.

xo,
    Chelle

Oooo, that’s for the link to the good French stuff, Chelle! We have a couple of good whole grain mustards at our farmers’ market here, but I’m always on the lookout for more. :)

I store my chickpeas in the fridge after I cook them, and they’ll stay good for several days. (Probably even up to a week, although they usually don’t last that long in my fridge.) They’re definitely good to keep around for snacking!

Man oh man, sriracha is the best!! I love the idea of roasting chickpeas with it. I’ve had roasted chickpeas with some spicy seasonings before and it was delicious, but sriracha would take it to a whole new level. And yay mustard seeds! They are so versatile, and pack such a huge punch of flavor for being so very tiny. I must try having them pickled on their own, I’m so intrigued!

After roasting those chickpeas, I’m wondering why I don’t do that ALL the time. Especially since I make giant batches of them, and then they get cold and maybe just a tad bit slimy when they sit in the fridge (not enough to deter me from eating them, but still). The roasted ones were perfect for days, though. So good! And I’m totally giving you a jar of my homemade sriracha when you’re here! I’ve still got about a quart left from last summer’s batch, and I’ll be making more again before I know it. :D

Pickled. Mustard. Seeds.
    What.
    That’s incredible! I can never think of inventive things to pickle, but sounds like you just hit the pickley jackpot.
    And yes to all the chickpeas. Oh my god, I love them. Especially roasted (…or fried, haha, of course). I am totally guilty of the whole eating-all-the-roasted-chickpeas-like-popcorn thing :/ and you KNOW how I fell about roasted cauliflower.
    All in all, you just made me the most hungry person ever.

Hehe! The pickled mustard seeds are so ridiculous. I already went through another jar. And I keep having cravings for those chickpeas, but I never remember to throw some in a bowl to soak before I go to bed. Then I wake up and get the cravings, and get mad that I didn’t plan ahead!

I just found your blog by instagram, I love it! Absolutely stunning photographs, I just bought some mustard seeds the other day for a flat bread topping but I’d never thought of pickling any kind of seeds before. I always have trouble with thinking of stuff to do with cauliflour too because all that comes into my head is cauliflour cheese! This looks much nicer
    From Emily xxx

Thank you, Emily! Cauliflower is one of my favorite veggies, and nothing really beats roasting it with a little salt, olive oil, and pepper. :)

19. Shannon Bradley says

Made this for dinner tonight and really loved it. One question though… Did anyone else have their chickpeas pop like popcorn in the oven? Mine were jumping off the baking sheet into the bottom of the oven. Perhaps I needed to stir more often, or maybe my oven burns too hot and I should try 425 instead?

Hi Shannon! After you mentioned the popping issue, I did a little research online and I found a lot of other people that mentioned popping chickpeas rocketing around their oven on other roasted chickpea posts. It seems like the general consensus is that the best way to avoid this is to thoroughly dry them first before tossing them in the oil and baking. However, I’ve seen a number of people say that the popping issue still occurred when they did this. It’s odd! I’m curious — are you working with canned or dried peas? I’ve made these roasted chickpeas about half a dozen times since this post (without even bothering to dry them off after boiling them), and I have yet to experience a popping issue. I’m starting with dried peas, which is the only possible variation I can think of. Of course, everyone’s oven is different, so it’s possible it’s just a temperature issue, and turning it down to 425 might help. Good luck! :)

1. [...] Sriracha-Roasted Chickpeas & Cauliflower with Pickled Mustard Seeds We’re big fans of Sriracha here at Greatist, and this recipe has just given us another reason to [...]

2. [...] This Sriracha-Roasted Chickpeas & Cauliflower with Pickled Mustard Seeds from Carey at Reclaimin… I make it all, but there seems to be a constant supply of pickled mustard seeds in our fridge ever since I discovered this recipe. [...]

3. [...] captions: pickled mustard seeds – i’ve slathered this in sandwiches, it’s been added to salad dressings. i [...]

4. [...] 16. Sriracha-Roasted Chickpeas & Cauliflower with Pickled Mustard Seeds We’re big fans of Sriracha here at Greatist, and this recipe has just given us another reason to embrace the spicy paste. Chickpeas add protein and fiber, superfood cauliflower packs vitamin C and phytochemicals, olive oil adds some healthy fats, and Greek yogurt helps balance out the heat while adding even more protein. [...]

5. [...] I had to eat at my desk but luckily, I had a super healthy, satisfying, home-cooked meal. I made this recipe: roasted cauliflower with sriracha-roasted chick peas and pickled mustard seeds. Except I [...]

6. [...] seeds by accidentally putting too much sugar in a recipe for pickled mustard seeds that I got here (my modified version below). However, they turned out delicious and I was really happy with them! [...]

7. [...] Quinoa14. Yogurt-Marinated Chicken Kebabs with Aleppo Pepper15. Cheesy Chicken Quesadillas.16. Sriracha-Roasted Chickpeas & Cauliflower with Pickled Mustard Seeds. 17. Roasted Eggplant Salad with Saffron Yogurt18. Steak Salad with Chive-Yogurt [...]

8. [...] adapted from Carey at Reclaiming Provincial  here [...]