Asparagus & Greek Yogurt Custard Galette with Pickled Mustard Seeds & Lemon Zest

Asparagus, Cauliflower, & Greek Yoghurt Custard Galette

Do you ever have those weeks when you feel like the biggest, most accident-prone lummox alive? Those weeks when you think, “I’m going to stay right here, inside my house, and maybe just right in this chair, until I’m feeling safe enough to be around people and stuff again”? For me, last week was one of those weeks.

It all began two Sundays ago, when E and I returned from visiting NY for our Dad’s birthday. After a four hour car ride and a trip to the grocery store immediately upon returning home because I was starving, and there was no food to be eaten, all I wanted to do was put on some comfy pants and kick back with a glass of wine. If you’re a regular reader, you may remember me mentioning the overflowing dresser drawers in my closet a couple weeks ago. Being difficult to close, these drawers often just remain open, thanks to my laziness. Also, my closet (which can be referred to as a walk-in closet in only the most literal sense, as one can indeed talk a few steps into it) does not contain a working light. I’d run my shoulder into an open drawer a couple of times and thought, “ow, I should really close these more.” But on Sunday, as I went barreling into my dark closet, reaching down to grab comfy things from a bottom compartment, it was my face that made contact with the corner of an open drawer.

asparagus

I froze as the pain set in, thinking, “Hey, maybe it’s not that ba…ow…OWW…this is definitely bad.” I made my way out of the closet and to the sink to clean myself up and see what I’d done. I discovered a puncture wound and a nasty scrape about half an inch long, just a quarter inch from the corner of my eye. I grabbed a bag of frozen corn from the freezer, a glass of wine, and carefully ventured back into my closet to retrieve the comfy clothes. (Since I was going to be holding a bag of frozen veggies on my face for the next hour, completing the original mission seemed all the more important.)

Then, there was Thursday. The day that this knife found its way into my thumb. I’d like to tell you that I was doing something logical and semi-respectable, like excitedly slicing into a loaf of fresh bread that I made myself. I don’t want to admit that I decided to grab the closest knife from the dish drain to remove the plastic from a new block of cheese (and cut towards myself, because I’m the smartest), but yeah…… It was intense. I’ve never had a cut where I had to wonder “will this stop bleeding without professional medical attention?” before, so that was a first for me. I will never, ever again tease my mom for giving my brother and I first aid kits for Christmas. Please mom, keep them coming.

Asparagus, Cauliflower, & Greek Yoghurt Custard Galette

And now, onto more appetizing things. This galette was another Easter dish success, which I’ve slightly reinvented for this post to accommodate the contents of my fridge. (Also, this post made me finally realize that the all caps formatting I was using for post headings is not conducive to the descriptive titles I wish to provide you with right off the bat. So, I changed it. I think I like it, but maybe not. And there are way more words I want to add in there, like cauliflower and pecorino and smoked sea salt. Oh and buttermilk crust too! But we have plenty of time to talk about all that.)

Asparagus, Cauliflower, & Greek Yoghurt Custard Galette

This galette is a bit different than what I served on Easter, and I’d dare say that I like it better. When I discovered that the ricotta in my fridge had passed the useable point, I turned my attention to a container of Greek yogurt. As I contemplated a Greek yogurt base, I started thinking about incorporating eggs to create a custard of sorts. I wound up combining Greek yogurt, an egg, and a little bit of honey for the base, and it was so. dang. good. It was a little bit tart, a little bit sweet, and played so well with the rest of the flavors in the dish.

Asparagus, Cauliflower, & Greek Yoghurt Custard Galette

I added a hefty dollop of pickled mustard seeds on top of the custard layer, then began neurotically arranging asparagus. (And check it out, you guys, I actually dusted off my tripod and took a few minutes to read about using the drive mode on my cam so I could take pictures of my hands doing things! [I actually don’t know how I feel about pictures of my hands. Look at my left index finger in that last picture — doesn’t it look bizarrely dirty? It’s not, I swear. At least you can’t see my bandaged up freak thumb.])

Asparagus, Cauliflower, & Greek Yoghurt Custard Galette

Since I didn’t quite have as much asparagus as I would have liked, I wound up adding some cauliflower as well. Although the flavor of the cauliflower didn’t come through all that prominently, it was there. Especially in the bits that crisped up nicely while the galette baked. I topped the whole thing off with a little bit of pecornio, then some lemon zest and smoked sea salt. I threw the smoked sea salt flakes in there on a whim and they wound up being totally clutch, doing a great job of bringing the whole thing together. I took these pictures, then tried one piece, and immediately ate another. Then I ate two more pieces later that evening. Yup yup.

Asparagus & Greek Yogurt Custard Galette

For the crust:

• 1 1/4 cups of all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) of butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
  • buttermilk, chilled

Add flour, sugar, and salt to a food processor and pulse two or three times to combine. Add butter and pulse until texture begins to look a bit mealy. Add a drizzle of buttermilk, then pulse a few times to combine. Keep doing this until mixture begins to clump together, and you are able to press it into a dough. (If you don’t have a food processor, use a pastry cutter.)

Wrap dough in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes. When you’re ready to make the galette, remove from the fridge and let sit for about 5 minutes.

For the galette:

• around a dozen stalks of asparagus, trimmed
  • a few bits of cauliflower, cut into small florets
  • 2 tbsp pickled mustard seeds
  • 1/3 cup of Greek yogurt
  • 1 egg, beaten (reserving about a tbsp for the egg wash)
  • 1 tsp honey
  • 1/4 cup of pecornio, grated
  • 2 tsp lemon zest
  • a couple pinches of smoked sea salt (Maldon, if possible)

Preheat oven to 400°.

Combine Greek yogurt, beaten egg (reserving a tbsp for the egg wash), and honey. Whisk until smooth. Mix in pickled mustard seeds, then set aside.

Roll dough out on parchment paper into a large circular shape, approximately 14″ in diameter. Spoon Greek yogurt mixture over the base and spread around until evenly coated, leaving about two inches of space on the edge all the way around.

Arrange asparagus around the tart, breaking up pieces if necessary to make things fit. Arrange cauliflower florets over top. Sprinkle pecornio evenly over toppings, then repeat with lemon zest and smoked sea salt. Fold the edges of the dough up around the filling, the brush with egg wash.

Bake on a sheet for approximately 40 minutes, or until the edges of the dough are beginning to brown nicely. Remove from oven and let cool for 15 minutes.

Asparagus, Cauliflower, & Greek Yoghurt Custard Galette

Comments

ouch ouch ouch .. those were not good days and I can feel it. I cry like a baby when I get hurt! Am glad the weekend ended on a yummy note with that rustic Galette and the hand shots are really GOOD!

Thanks, Kankana! :) I am the same way — if someone is around to witness an injury of mine, I will whine and grumble a whole lot. When the knife mishap occurred, I was alone. Which made it kind of scary, but also put me into OK, YOU NEED TO DEAL WITH THIS mode. I definitely had a little meta moment when I finally got the bleeding to stop, and it felt like a wave swept through my body and washed all of the frantic intensity away. I paused and thought to myself, “Oh, that’s the feeling of adrenaline no longer coursing through my system. And now I’m nauseous and extremely light-headed……I should probably sit down.”

Thanks, Kathryn! Both injuries have healed surprisingly well, which is a relief. :) I’m glad my thumb mishap didn’t keep me from creating this galette, because I really love how it turned out!

Gosh, I’ve been craving something with a good flaky buttery crust and this really hits it on the head. And I most always prefer galettes because the draw is the more rustic it looks, the better, which is all well and good for me since I seriously cannot make things foo-foo pretty to save my life. Thanks for reminding me about the ricotta though (even though you ended up not using it for this particular dish), as I’ve been using it quite frequently with my clients and always in the moment tell myself to get some for myself but end up forgetting (again.). There’s a really good fresh ricotta I find at the market that is so dang good I could seriously just eat it by the spoonful. Yum.

And much props to you (ha, get it?) for having the spirit to photograph your hands! Yours are so cute and works well for the shot. Mine on the other hand, I fear would have turned up looking like detached alien fingers– creeeepy.

Galettes are quickly becoming a favorite of mine, for the reason that I am much better at doing rustic and unpolished than pretty and perfect too. :) And I love having fresh ricotta in my fridge, but I never seem to use it quickly enough, which is such a bummer! (I keep telling myself that I’m just going to start buying half gallons of milk and making ricotta as I need it, but that has yet to happen.)

I’m still debating how I feel about those hand shots. I totally felt like my fingers looked like a weird, creepy human spider thing in that second picture. Also, it’s now clear to everyone that I bite my nails 24/7. :D

I know– I’ve read how easy it is to make homemade ricotta and yogurt and paneer (which I LOVE and truly do need to make some instead of buying a teeny weeny block of it for $7) and need to just get on it.

Also, I’m a major nail-biter too, along with cuticle-pulling and nail-tearing. It’s a horrible habit. :(

Yes! I have dreams of making homemade yoghurt too. I even bought one of those heating pads that I saw Alton Brown use on Good Eats. I wonder where that thing is……

You know, I didn’t really know how to verbalize the thoughts I was having about this dish while I was reading about it, but then I saw it: TOTALLY CLUTCH!! This. sounds. so. freaking. good. The asparagus at our grocery store is still seriously subpar, but when it gets good, this galette will be happening! The guy and I were talking about dinners yesterday–since I do all the menu planning, I get to decide what’s for dinner. I always ask him for ideas, and he rarely gives me any. No bigs. But when we get halfway through the week and he says “another grain and veggie thing in a bowl??” Please. He likes a protein, a starch, and a vegetable in their separate spots on a plate. I like to throw it all in a bowl. My point is, I would not have to convince him that this is good eats. This is a great compromise.

Hehe! It’s so funny, because using phrases like that and general Internet lingo make me feel like I’m way hipper than I actually am. I don’t know how these things wind up in my head, but they’ll randomly pop up now and then and make me think, “hmmm, I like the way that sounds, and I think it’s applicable.” And then I have to google it just to make sure. :)

Sometimes I try to imagine how menu planning would go if Johnny and I lived together, and I think it would be a nightmare. I just want a pile of vegetables and a bowl full of quinoa, and he wants something meaty, possibly in sandwich form. I would totally be getting the “another grain and veggie bowl?” comments too! But this tart is definitely a good compromise. I might try to feed him some of the leftovers tonight. Teehee.

Ooh, hand shots are awesome. I mean, I can understand why you’re on the fence about them because it can be spooky seeing just a pair of hands hovering in a photo, but they also remind the reader that there’s an actual person running the blog, right? Right. :)

You know, I’ve never thought that a galette could be anything other than sweet, and now that I’ve actually written that, I feel dumb because of course it would be incredible. I’d like it way more than a sweet galette that’s for sure, because, like scones, I don’t think I’m the hugest fan of sweet, tart-like things. (I don’t want to give up on them yet, however, because they’re so damn pretty!) (Also, I think the reason behind my dislike is that dessert galettes are usually filled with fruit, which I can’t stand.) I think the buttery flaky dough would actually contrast better with savory foods than sweet, and I love how you paired asparagus with the Greek yogurt custard and pecorino!

I have been contemplating the hand shots a lot since I took these photos. They make the process feel a lot more tangible and real, and I’d love to do more of them. But it’s funny, because I feel like low, shadow-creating light (which is my jam, clearly) isn’t the most forgiving when it comes to making hands look pretty! I was totally contemplating hand make up earlier today. I mean, that’s probably a thing right? Like for fancy hand lotion or jewelery photos? I’m so putting make up on my hands next time, just to see what happens. :D

And I feel the exact same way about dessert galettes! I get really grossed out by big giant chunks of mushy fruit, in anything. I pick them out of jam. I hate fruit-on-the-bottom yoghurt. Guuh. Savory pies and pastries are totally where it’s at!

I was thinking that too! Although it might also highlight how stubby they are from constant biting. (My oldest habit that will never die. My dad still yells at me for it.) :P

Ah galettes! They have such a beautiful rustic look to them. This sounds delicious, too, something about asparagus and dairy always melds so well together (asparagus, salmon, and cream cheese rolls are one of my favorite sushi types. So addicting!) And I am so sorry about your accident! Getting hit in the area around your eye is the worst, so incredibly painful. I once opened the car door into my own eyebrow as I was just about to leave on a roadtrip from Oregon to Los Angeles. Busted it open, blood running down into my eye, didn’t need stitches either luckily, but man the shock of the pain made me cry and cry. I haven’t cried from pain since I was a little kid, but it is just so searing and terrible in that area. I hope yours heals up soon! Neosporin should be a close friend, that stuff helps wounds heal crazy fast and reduces scarring, too. I think they even have numbing varieties. Wusthof knives are the best, but that can also make them more dangerous if you slip…so incredibly sharp! I don’t have a dishwasher so when I first got my set of them I cut my hands a ton just from washing the blade. Hope the finger cut heals up quick, too. Those are always frustrating cuts because you use your hands so much in the kitchen that they can get irritated easily. Waterproof band-aids are another good friend to have :)

Oh man, I have never had a sushi roll with asparagus in it! How has this not happened?? Johnny and I are actually planning on going out for sushi tonight, so I’m going to be scanning the menu to see if there’s something I’ve been overlooking. (Unfortunately the sushi selection in Burlington is so-so [not that surprising]. The popular restaurant in town has a ton of rolls that are enormous — we’re talking 2 inches in diameter — and impossible to eat in one bite, which drives me crazy. There’s a newer restaurant down by the water that’s quite good though, and I don’t go there often enough.)

And oh my god, I can’t imagine how terrible it must have been to cut your eyebrow open right before a road trip!! Thank goodness you didn’t need stitches, but cuts like that are the worst. Any sort of head wound or pain just seems to go right into your brain and make everything hurt. It’s terrible. My eye healed surprisingly quickly, though! I have pretty much been drowning my wounds in combinations of neosporin, bactine, and arnica gel (depending on whether I’m at my apartment or Johnny’s). The thumb has been without a bandage for the past two days, and it’s healing pretty nicely. I can still feel this weird inner hand pain if I move it in a certain way or accidentally bump it into something, and it makes me feel all queasy. But it’s nice to actually be able to use my left hand again! Trying to shower or wash dishes or do pretty much anything was so difficult those first two days. It really made me appreciate having the use of my thumb. :)

AH! So sorry about your finger. I had a similar experiance this fall, but it took my out for 4 months (the knife made contact with tendons- I was carving a pumpkin) I took the liberty of changing the story – making sure people knew I’d saved the life of two small children and a cat. I’m glad you’re okay!! Sorry for the rough week.

Oh no! That sounds so terrible, Chelle. Is your thumb pretty much back to normal now, or is your mobility somewhat limited? (I was so afraid I might have cut nerves or tendons at first, but everything still seemed to be in working order once I got it bandaged up. I was definitely pretty lucky, considering.)

Almost all the way better now! Thanks for asking… I just am loving your blog so much! Your writing is lovely and the recipes are fantastic!

Thanks so much, Chelle! :) And I’m so glad your finger is almost back to normal — thank goodness. At the risk of sounding a little weird, I kind of enjoy having injuries after the initial pain and horror is over with, because it’s just so darn amazing to me how the body heals itself.

I know! What was great about this one was that my right arm was in a cast (I tell ya go big or go home) and it was amazing how many people where there for me to drive me around, make me food, and cheer me up. But also amazing to look down at my hand and see it working again. It was a good chance to see how amazing people can be!! Oh life!

oh my gahd, don’t even TALK to me about being accident-prone. I was trying to set up for shooting ice cream sandwiches a few days ago, and to do so, I have to move a stool with a tray of potted succulents on top of it. NORMALLY I’m not lazy; I move the succulents off the stool, then move the stool and its all good, but I was feeling lazy and was all “yeah I can totally do this. It’ll be fiiiine”. But it really, really wasn’t. I moved the stool, it got stuck behind a pile of books. One of the pots started to wobble so I tried to grab it – which I DID, but then ALL THE OTHER POTS FELL INSTEAD. So I ended up cleaning dirt and broken clay vases for the next 20 minutes. Sigh.

And bread knives.

ugh, yes i have done the exact same thing with a bread knife that looks exactly the same, when I was cutting a loaf of bread last year. So much bleeding. So scary.

But YAY for hand-shots and YAY for this galette – you keep making things where ALL the ingredients are my favorite things – asparagus, cauliflower, lemon zest, mustard seeds, yogurt and, oh man, buttermilk pastry – I need to do that.

Aaahahaha. Oh man, that stinks. There are two matching stools in my apartment that I will regularly grab to stand on for photo stuff. One is pretty solid, but the other is kind of coming apart and all wobbly, and I usually don’t realize which one I have until I go to stand on it.

When I did that blood orange french 75 shoot, I had to go out and buy champagne flutes. I bought two, came home, set them both on the counter, started putting other dishes away, then whipped around to stack some cutting boards up and smacked one of the glasses right off the counter. Now, I buy three of everything. :)

And omg, buttermilk pastry is the shiiiiiiz. I randomly tried that out one day when I had a bunch of buttermilk leftover from making butter, and I couldn’t believe I’d never done it before. SO. GOOD.

Hi Kulsum! Thank you so much. Your blog and photography have been an inspiration for for quite some time, and I’m excited you found your way here! :)

I’m so sorry yet so relieved to see that the injury didn’t sway away from letting you make this beauty…which, by the way, I am sitting infront of the oven waiting for! YES! I read this and ran to the kitchen! So I am shaking impatiently waiting to see how it turns out, and hoping it’s as devine as your photographs!

Always pure joy!

Yeliz

Have been following your blog for a while now. Just wanted let you that I am in love with your space and the souful photographs. I have spent many hours just gazing at them. What an inspiration. Thanks for everything.

Hope your thumb feels better.

Hi Soma! Thank you so much for your kind words. Your space is equally beautiful, and I’m so happy to know you found your way here! The thumb is doing pretty great. It feels a little weird and looks even stranger, but it’s on the mend. :)

After seeing this recipe, I was inspired to make my own pickled mustard seeds! I ended up using rice wine vinegar as it was the only kind we had on hand and they turned out really well. I haven’t used them in any kind of tart or galette yet but have been putting them in my sandwiches everyday – thanks for a great recipe :)

Yay! I’ve actually made them with rice wine vinegar the past few times, and it’s super tasty. :) Glad you’re enjoying them, Kate!