Adventures in Cooking + Reclaiming Provincial: Fall Photography & Styling Workshop!

You guys! I have been so super excited to share this news with you, which has been in the making for several months now: The amazingly talented Eva Kosmas Flores of Adventures in Cooking and I will be hosting a food photography and styling workshop this fall in upstate New York!!

Eva and I began talking about this workshop a few months back, when she approached me with a few ideas for collaborations. If I may take a moment to be a bit honest and real here, that phone call from her could not have come at a better time for me. She and I spoke mere days after I had officially turned down my book deal. I was house-sitting for my parents at the time by myself, wondering if I’d made the right decision or simply backed out of a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity because it terrified me. But as she and I discussed possible future projects involving things that I actually felt inspired to do, I realized that I had absolutely made the right decision. Being free of something as weighty and time consuming as that book deal meant room for an opportunity that I was truly excited about: hosting a fun, amazing event with one of my favorite gals ever, with individuals who share our passion for food and photography. I am so insanely thrilled.

This workshop is also dear to me for another reason: it will be held in Margaretville, NY, which is only an hour away from the home I grew up in. (Mom dropping in with a tray of brownies = very likely. Also, we’ll be taking a little trip over to my favorite upstate NY farmers’ market.) And it is happening the first weekend in October, only a few days before my birthday! The workshop will be held in a beautifully renovated 19th century barn that’s located on a 300-acre mountain side. (Read: 300 acres of eye-melting early October upstate NY foliage. Alternate translation: pure fall heaven.) The workshop is 2.5 days, running from Friday the 3rd to Monday the 6th. We’ll be focusing on photography and propping/styling, as well as covering post-processing techniques in Lightroom. Plus there will be lots of delicious food, obv. You can read all the details about and sign up for the event here. And check out the gorgeous video that Eva made above! Please do let us know if you have any questions that aren’t covered by the event description. We hope to see you there! ♥

Also, a big thanks to Meghann Rader for the use of her beautiful artwork on our event flyer. You can see more of her work on her website, and also check out her pieces for sale on her Etsy shop.

Comments

Congratulations! It’s a bummer that I’ll be in upstate New York visiting my in-laws two weeks before the workshop. I would have LOVE to learn from you and Eva!

I have no doubt it will be very successful…maybe I’ll make it to next year’s ;)

• carey says

Ooh, that’s too bad! I hope you have a great time in upstate NY, Ana. It’s the best time of year to visit. :)

This is so, so exciting! I would love love love to attend this class. I think I could learn so much from the two of you. I’ll have to see what kind of magic I can work to wrangle up the time and money to get out there. Would be such a blast!

Ok, one question… how does the shared bed thing work if you don’t have a friend to go with? Can you still buy that option, or do you have to move up to a solo sleeping option? (Basically, I don’t care who I have to sleep with to get into this class… ha!)

• carey says

Yayyyy!!!! Oh my gosh, I am so excited for you to come to this Willow! The shared bed thing doesn’t require another companion, only a willingness to share a bed with someone else (friend or stranger). :) So that option is totally open for you if you’d like!

Two of my absolute favorite photographers/stylists together at once?!! Whoever attends this workshop is in for quite a treat. Love it!

Oh, you two!!! This sounds like the most wonderful weekend ever. EVER!!! Your powers combined…that’s like, Captain Planet-level shit, yo. My graduate school “salary” and my impending comprehensive exams don’t allow me to attend, but oh my gosh, I can’t wait to hear all about it.

This workshop sounds ah-mazing!! I’m sure you’ll have a great weekend! Wish I could come but you know…all those miles and that vast ocean between us :(

P.S. I want to watch that video over and over again. Lovely in every possible way!

• carey says

Ooooo I really hope you can make it, Beth!! If you have any questions or you’d like to chat about the workshop, feel free to drop me a line. :)

This renovated 19th century barn is ideal to host the workshop. I have been in Upstate NY, but not in Margaretville. I just look at the photos of the workshop and they are fabulous.

• carey says

This area of upstate NY is beautiful but rather unassuming (or so it has always seemed to me). It was wonderful to find such a gem of a place hidden out here!